• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Quick question about homemade bore butter consistency.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. . . could you tell me is your ratio figured on volume or weight? . . .
Volume. Once I had determined the ratio I liked I made equidistant marks on a popsicle stick. Into an empty soup can I pour melted beeswax till it reaches the fourth mark, then pour in olive oil till the blend reaches the ninth mark. I stir it and pour it into an empty shoe polish tin where it cools and solidifies.

I'm sure there are other ways of doing it, but this is the volume-based method that works for me.

Bees Wax-Olive Oil.jpg

Last edited:
I found it easier for me to make small batches in this thing. I weighed the beeswax then the oil. Let cool checked consistently and then weighed and added more oil making progressively softer batches. This is just one example of many ways to do this I’m sure.

I liked using this scented wax burner because it makes small batches and since it used a candle I did not have to stand in the kitchen trying to get a good mix. I did this in my bedroom while watching tv at night. Plus no pans to mess up and the wax does not get too hot this way.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Guys this stuff works!

I did an experiment. I added a little of my homemade butter to a spoon and massaged it in giving a nice light coating.

I then added some black powder and light her up with my lighter. I was left with this super soft black fouling that wiped away with my finger after the spoon cooled.

I got the exact same result with the other “formulation“ of “black7powder” and git the same results!

Overall very awesome stuff thank you guys for turning me onto the beeswax olive oil mix!

Bees wax and Olive Oil is what I use, about a 50/50 mix
in its natural state its about like chap-stick, but I melt it and dip minie balls into it when its a liquid and let it harden on the bullet.
For my revolver I'll scrape it with my knife and it will spread like peanut butter on my revolver cylinder. for my cylinder. for my cylinder base pin i use a few drops of straight olive oil.

I use a mixture of 20%beeswax 80 % lard (crisco would work as well) in the summer, pure lard in the winter.If you use olive oil you want the cheap hot pressed, the expensive cold pressed virgin oil has more water in it.

High gentleman quick question about butter consistency I am making my own butter.

It's a simple mix of Olive oil and beeswax. I'm making in small batches to play with the consistency and the melting point.

I think the best I've gotten is ChapStick like consistency is that what we're going for?
A three to one ratio of tallow to bees wax. Her beef tallow from a local meat Prosser,usually for free .Most bee keepers will give or sell reasonably. Cook the tallow down in a double boiler. Filter through cheese cloth . Remelt and add half water and bring to a rolling boil cool and put into a freezer till tallow hardens. Pour off water and reheat add bees wax. Cool ant it's ready to use .Make sure there isn't any honey in the bees wax. It works well check my August target for the mail in. Probably won't get there till we'd. Professor flint lock signing off.

Back