• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Quick Cheap rifle Cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentuckyMan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Quite frankly, I'm tried of having to measure all of my powder loads while I'm out in the field.

I would want to have the convinces of a cartridge, that are found in modern day guns, rather than having to measure my charges, sometimes wasting some of my powder in accentual mistake, or during the normal tapping extra powder from the top.

However, it's not all about the amount of powder lost out on the range, but the convinces of quickly and painlessly having to pure in a consistence amount of powder, every time I load.

So the solution has been with us since they came out with the black powder rifle and pistol. Just having paper containers to hold in your powder charges. When your ready to load, these simple cartridges are bitten off at one end, then purred down the barrel, and usually you can have your round ball inside the Paper cartridge; this will add to serve to the shooter for the cartridge will be the wad used to for the ball to be loaded.

What I'll be doing here, is to show you a way to make simple cartridges out of house hold paper, and just apply a simple ideas on how to store in such a way, so that you can carry around very easily.

Also, this will take away the normal powder measure step that for some people have trouble with, or just don't want to deal deal with it.

First off, this is everything you will need of the project.
dsc03002m.jpg

Paper, tape, Brass horn, or powder horn, A gun cartridge to use as a model(you can use any tubular shape like a marker), a powder charge measuring tool, Black powder of your choice, and two Altoids cans(any container of your likings will do).

First off take a Altoids can, place it on so scratch paper, mark one line to show the width of the can, and a line just above the first one to show the length of your can.

dsc03011w.jpg

dsc03012w.jpg

The two lines should always be about 3cm in length apart from each other. The First line is called the folding line, while the second line is called the cutting line.

dsc03013ij.jpg

The measurement of these two lines never change, no matter how much BP(black powder) you pure into your cartridges. What does change is the measurement of the length of your Cartridges. From the folding line to the bottom end of the cartridge you will increase the length or shorten it.
The Width of the can is at a perfect size for 50 grains of fffg bp.

Now use your craft knife or scissors and cut down on the cutting line, and you should have a nice little ribbon of paper. Wrap this paper around your gun shell(I use a .357mag), or marker at least twice, then cut off at the end. Use some small amount of tape to keep make this paper tube, remove your shell from your paper tube, and away form the folding lines, make a very tight fold with some tape to it in place. You can use glue if you want, but using scotch tape is faster and works just as well.

dsc03014r.jpg

dsc03015o.jpg

dsc03016fg.jpg

dsc03017am.jpg

I usually take my blunt tip of my Scissors to hollow out the base of my Cartridges.

Now it's time for the powder measure. Take in 50 grain of BP and pure it in your paper tube.

dsc03018cp.jpg

dsc03019v.jpg

The powder should be right under the folding line.
dsc03020v.jpg

Go ahead an fold the your cartridge at the folding line point, and tape shut your cartridge. Use very little tape for easy opening of the round.

Now you can place up to about 20 or 25 rounds inside your Altoids can.

dsc03021b.jpg

dsc03022qe.jpg

Now remember, you do have two Altoids cans, right? So the second one you can use for your round balls, while your patches stay inside of a plastic bag of some kind.

dsc03023a.th.jpg

dsc03023a.jpg

Now that is very basic way to make cartridges. You can use news paper, make the cartridges long, and use the news paper as a wad for the round ball. But personally, I like my cloth patches for the best in accuracy.
To note: you might have different ideas on how to improve this or this thread maybe subject with your own opponents. I wish to hear them, and see what you guys think about this idea.

Whew, no wonder it took so long for the images to load.
And I got new super powerful confuser with a big wide screen. :)
Plus a pretty zippy DSL connection.

JMinnerath said:
Whew, no wonder it took so long for the images to load.
And I got new super powerful confuser with a big wide screen. :)
Plus a pretty zippy DSL connection.
Even though the Forum software reduces the image for display, the full size of the file has to load first. Both those processes slow the loading.

I usually use my photo software to "Crop" the size before even download to photo bucket.

That said, I've made paper cartridge from cigerette papers with just a hobby shop piece of 3/8 brass tubing.
Wrap the cig paper around the tube, pull a bit an twist,,fill with powder, pull it off and twist again.
I've used these for "Parade" loads, easy to keep in a pouch, quick to load,,easy "BOOM" for the crowd. :thumbsup:

KM, I don't see the advantage of this, after spending the time to make these at home, you have a tin with the powder, a tin with the balls, a plastic bag with the patches. You take out the tin with the powder, remove one, close the tin and put it away, tear the paper and pour the powder down the barrel, take out another tin and remove a ball, close the tin and put it away, get out the plastic bag and remove a patch, close it and put it away, seat the PRB on the powder, get out your capper and put on a cap or prime the pan
and finally your ready to shoot. Using a horn, an antler measure, some balls in your pouch, patches in a pouch on your belt or a spit patch in your mouth,or even faster with a loading block, several shots could be fired while your doing all that. JMHO
Deadeye

I've been doing this with newspaper for a while. It really is convenient isn't it?

Sorry, I'm not sold.
As has been mentioned, a loading block & fixed measure (either antler or brass), or pre-measured tubes is a whole lot quicker. By the time you've opened & closed all those tins & fiddled around with a paper tube, I could've loaded & fired twice.

can't really tell ya,,I can read all the posts and post this before yer dang pictures load,,

seems like alot of work to go through for a simple loading job :shake: :youcrazy:

well, hmm it's easy... it only took me about 20 minutes to fill up an tin can full of pre made charges.

You don't tear off the one end of the tube. When you make the fold, you apply very little tape; just enough to hold it down. When you out in the field you take your fingers and just pop it open. You pinch the sides of the tube and out comes the powder. The Idea of the other tin can for your balls; hmmm that does take up more time. So maybe if there was a way to have the patch and ball stuck together as one, and then use to load. Maybe just keeping the other supplies in a pocket or poach might work better.

:idunno:

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant!
Thank you for your words...

I will return to this subject, but I think I need to do that research and refine my experiment. :thumbsup:

Again, I must say Brilliant :hatsoff:

Been there done that...for over 30 years. Ball
and powder in the same tube. Tear open tube and
insert powder,paper and ball. I make them while
watching TV. This has been done for my musket but
I also did it with a rifle...works very well
Best results by using news paper WITHOUT the print
because the ink will make bore very dirty. Trust
me on this one....but, what do I know??? :idunno:

If you do a search on paper cartridges you will find how they were done back in the day.Including the ball in a pre-lubed portion of the cartridge. the argument others presented about the time taken to make them doesn't really hold water, unless you are making them in the field in order to load your gun. Time spent at home prior to a shooting session shouldn't figure in to time at the range. A proper cartridge is much quicker and convenient than any other method of loading. You rip off the top, pour in the powder, then you can either stuff all the paper and ball down the barrel or rip off the excess paper and ram the ball down with just its "covering" of paper.

KM,

That's been done for years and years and years, in some form or another. There have also been numerous "quick-load" gadgets available commercially, too, that are much more cumbersome than the paper cartridges you have come up with. Myself, I find it as easy and fast to just use a measure and horn for the next load. YMMV, obviously.

Latest posts

Back