• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional Spring Javelina Hunt Day 1

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I figured it was time to get out and away from people. To me, social distancing should be getting within 100-yards of a wild animal. The more social the animal, the closer I figure I can get. I was invited to hunt a large private ranch that is for sale. Among other things at the property is a strawberry farm of many acres. I am not sure if the javelina eat them, but I was told they are "messing up" the strawberry patches.

The ranch is rocky with slight changes in elevation and a mixture of mesquite, cactus and rocks with a creek or river clipping the back border. I was told if I stick to the cut trail it will take me around the outer circumference of the ranch and total about 5-miles as the trail winds and twists. Trying to be as traditional as possible considering the nearly 80-degrees, I set out wearing a brown cotton over-shirt with short sleeves, tan duck drop front pants and ankle high moccasins.

I loaded the .54 flintlock and strapped on the leather bag filled with an antler and hickory short starter, pan primer and antler/pick tool, extra ball, patch and vial of powder. I do not have an on-board loading rod, so I put my wood loading rod on a "sling" and wore it opposing my powder flask. My knife was a somewhat more modern "Canadian Belt Knife" style blade with wood handle pinned 3-times and resting in a hand-made leather sheath.

As morning broke this all seemed like a great idea. But, it was so hot and humid that I decided to put 3-16 oz plastic water bottles and 2 granola bars in my leather backpack. As I wander off I am thinking my moccasins are doing great keeping my feet dry, steps quiet and body comfortable. About an hour in I changed my mind about the time a mesquite thorn pierced through the bottom of my foot. After removing the offending thorn and checking the damage I continued on - but slower. Around the 2-mile mark I saw some javelina.

They looked awful small, but I snuck in with the wind in my favor. At about 75-yards I concluded that this was a group of immature shorties less than a year old. An hour later at around mile 3 I saw movement low to the ground that appeared grey. I thought it might be a coyote and decided I would shoot if given the opportunity. I held up for a while and then moved into light cover.

As the critter came into an opening, I eased back into the brush a little more while keeping my eye on the grey animal. "Bad idea" I thought about the time I felt the sting of a cactus spine enter the side of my foot. So much for the moccasins doing a great job. What did the Native Americans, Mountain Men and Pioneers wear on their feet while hunting? Probably not these things.

In spite of the heavy double leather bottom and slipper-like comfort they do not keep pointy things out. Gritting my teeth I pull the cock back as the animal clears the brush. No go, it is a real small whitetail deer. Cool little girl with a grey tint. She watches for a minute and slowly moves off the way she came. I ease the frizzen forward, then lower the cock and re-set the frizzen and put a stall on it. I continue on.

Just when I think I am close to completing the circle around the ranch I see javelina. I sneak through the rocks and sporadic vegetation and shrubs to close the distance. I am 40 or 50 yards from them and I take a seat - carefully. No pointy objects or snakes. I am waiting and watching these shorties for about a half-hour. They are always in a cluster, never a clear shot at just one.

Even though the limit is 2 per year I do not want to fill the limit with one shot. My foot starts throbbing. I look at it and see my moccasin is reddish. Great- my foot is obviously bleeding. I don't know if it is from the first prick or the second but it is starting to hurt. I ease out and go around the javelina. I complete the circle and get back to the truck.

After putting everything away I check my foot. All looks good now, no swelling or bleeding and no remaining pieces. This hunt will continue tomorrow with essentially the same plan, minus the moccasins …….

Great story. In answer to your question of footwear. Yes, they probably did wear "these things." Maybe constructed slightly differently or of slightly different leather, but, leather moccasins nonetheless. And, they suffered as you did, and learned to deal with it have few other options. I guess it is part of our interest in learning and experiencing their way of life.

I imagine the bottom of an Indian's foot had a sole thicker than that of the moccasins to begin with.
When I was in Africa we had a Bushman tracker who ran all over the place bare-foot. There are thorns on everything over there but he never flinched. Growing up with no shoes can make their soles almost impenetrable.

I imagine the bottom of an Indian's foot had a sole thicker than that of the moccasins to begin with.
When I was in Africa we had a Bushman tracker who ran all over the place bare-foot. There are thorns on everything over there but he never flinched. Growing up with no shoes can make their soles almost impenetrable.
When I first got out of the army at the age of 21 I worked in a truck shop, all older fellows of course the painter body man had served in New Guina South Pacific and related a story , as a Seabee they were unloading rolls of barbed wire snd native helpers were running on top of them bare foot. Very difficult to imagine but I believe him.

Buzz ps Not for this tenderfoot

Lewis and Clark found when they moved away from the drainages and cut across country the cactus was unbearable to deal with. They were wearing mocs

Almost everything that lives on the ground in the desert has one or all of fangs, claws or thorns. The worst is Jumping Cholla. If you ever get in a fight with it, you will find out why they call it "jumping". Carry a comb even if you don't have hair. Its the only way to save yourself from the jumpers.

Good story. Keep at it.
I lived in AZ back in the 1980's. Hunted javelina several times, but never actually saw one. Did find plenty of tracks. Did get a couple of those Coues deer (Arizona whitetails). Cholla cactus is the worst!

Back