• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

QUESTION OUT THERE..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi guys....ive got this original hawken full stock...had it since the 70s when you could get one...im thinking about shooting it....its got a pretty good bore...not perfect but rifelling looks ok...its off of a ranch in oregon and tho used a bunch was taken care of...woodfill said its early 1849 to 1850...54 cal...got some balls from track of the wolf....what is the general feelings about shooting it....fred fellows
IMG_6421.JPG

I'd shoot it if that is not a crack through the lock mortise and the wrist as observed by 64Springer. Is it engraved on the barrel with the Hawken name?

dave...heres the stamp...67 springer...great idea 30 grains and 50 cal ball...ive got other muzzel loaders including origina lehman flint that ive shot some but this gun worth a little more and part of my old age retirement....fred

Attachments

• IMG_6472.JPG
    IMG_6472.JPG
    842.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6466.JPG
    IMG_6466.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6467.JPG
    IMG_6467.JPG
    858.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6468.JPG
    IMG_6468.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6470.JPG
    IMG_6470.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6472.JPG
    IMG_6472.JPG
    842.7 KB · Views: 0
Absolutely, if there is no indication of any issues.
I’d start with a low powder charge and inspect with each shot and confirm there’s no issues.

Bring it to the HawkenClassic!

Fred, if the rifle is solid, I think you could shoot it. My vision is not very good, and I missed the crack that @64Springer saw. If you checked it out and found it is superficial, I think light loads would be safe.

An empty .45 Colt case holds 41 grains, exactly a dram and a half, and might be a good load to try. That was Horace Kephart's starting load when he tested an old .54 caliber Hawken. He kept increasing the charge, but there's no need for you to do that.

Let us know how it shoots! The rifle is a beauty.

Notchy Bob

That is a fantastic rifle but as desireable as it is that Bowie knife is absolutely AWWWWSOOMMMME!!!! From that time period it could be from one of the grat San Francisco knife makers. There should be a makers mark on the other side that is being shown. I would love to know who made it. PM me if you don't want to general post it. Close ups???

I acquired a bunch of parts and my late wife gave me a 54 green mtn barrel about 10 years ago I had a want of a full stock Hawken black walnut with true German silver furniture. And I truly wanted a gun built by a very close friend that was getting close to the age that he couldn't build any more. Thank the good Lord he is still with us but the rifle still isn't done yet, but he say's its getting close he can't shoot any more and can't see to drive but spends time on it most days when he's not doctoring, I just I'm able to hold it to shoot when I finally get it !

There's also a crack forward of the lock mortise, fairly well pronounced. We're talking a stock well over a century and a half old. If it were me (and I'm well aware its not) I might shoot it once just to say I did, clean it thoroughly and display it in a place of honor. Something caused that stock to crack. With the availability of modern made rifles of a similar type I wouldn't take any chances with a treasure like that one. Just my opinion, of course.

Edited - I missed that split at the toe of the butt. Another serious consideration that would make me reluctant to use this one a an active shooter. But that's just me.

Last edited:
If it was mine..... I would have to shoot it. Definitely stick to a low charge 40gr. Max for me and a ball that slides down with little effort. Be careful with the toe of the gun when loading, it looks to be cracked too. I would probably want to recover the ball I shot from it, just for conversation sakes. Beautiful gun be careful with it.

I acquired a bunch of parts and my late wife gave me a 54 green mtn barrel about 10 years ago I had a want of a full stock Hawken black walnut with true German silver furniture. And I truly wanted a gun built by a very close friend that was getting close to the age that he couldn't build any more. Thank the good Lord he is still with us but the rifle still isn't done yet, but he say's its getting close he can't shoot any more and can't see to drive but spends time on it most days when he's not doctoring, I just I'm able to hold it to shoot when I finally get it !
Then "original", not. But still a dandy. And, I noticed the Carrigan coffin handled Bowie also. Also a dandy.

Fred, if the rifle is solid, I think you could shoot it. My vision is not very good, and I missed the crack that @64Springer saw. If you checked it out and found it is superficial, I think light loads would be safe.

An empty .45 Colt case holds 41 grains, exactly a dram and a half, and might be a good load to try. That was Horace Kephart's starting load when he tested an old .54 caliber Hawken. He kept increasing the charge, but there's no need for you to do that.

Let us know how it shoots! The rifle is a beauty.

Notchy Bob

Latest posts

Back