• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question on sight in heidth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrd

32 Cal
Reaction score
Going to switch from 275 gr. conical to 240 with 75 gr. 2Fwith 50 cal. Flint lock and since most of my hunting shots are 50 and under I was going to go from 85 yds. to 50 for sight in. Should I sight in a tad high (and about how much) to still hit a deer at 80 or 90?

Started with prb but found my 1 in 48 likes conicals better.

Probably going to have to adjust your powder charge also since you are switching to a lighter bullet. But best answer, practice, practice, and practice some more.

Thanks for all replies and here what you all are saying, was just looking for a ballpark heidth.

I’m not a conical person but I’ve shot many roundballs from 32 to 62. I’ve found in any of them is if I sight dead on at 50 I’m about 2 inches high at 25 and 5-6 inches low at 100 regardless of caliber. With that heavy conical the only way you’ll find out is to actually shoot it.

Going to switch from 275 gr. conical to 240 with 75 gr. 2Fwith 50 cal. Flint lock and since most of my hunting shots are 50 and under I was going to go from 85 yds. to 50 for sight in. Should I sight in a tad high (and about how much) to still hit a deer at 80 or 90?
Sight in at 25 yards then move out

First you need to determine if a lighter conical is accurate, then start worrying about the rest
This. Shoot the conical that gives the best accuracy. Then determine trajectory/drop out to the maximum distance you plan on shooting with this load. You can then decide the distance you want to be dead on, knowing how high or low you will be at different yardages and dial in your sights.

Latest posts

Back