• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question on pinned barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it odd that so many veterans on this board are advising not to remove the barrel. Removing the barrel for me is super easy (I mean I can pull out the pins with my fingers after punching them half way). Unscrew the tang, flip the gun, give it a nice pat on the bottom and out comes the barrel onto a soft chair. Put the barrel in a 5 gallon home depot bucket and we are off to a super clean barrel!

The stock is super flimsy so take care to put it someplace that you won't trip on it, but I prefer to manhandle the barrel and flip it around while I'm cleaning it and pumping water into it and oiling up the entire thing, and I thought I was scared of hurting the thing as a newcomer!
No wrong way with your own gun. We all have little things we like to do.
I pull my barrels once every few years to wax the channel. The fire sticks are very fragile. I’m as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs till the barrel is backed in.

I find it odd that so many veterans on this board are advising not to remove the barrel. Removing the barrel for me is super easy (I mean I can pull out the pins with my fingers after punching them half way). Unscrew the tang, flip the gun, give it a nice pat on the bottom and out comes the barrel onto a soft chair. Put the barrel in a 5 gallon home depot bucket and we are off to a super clean barrel!

The stock is super flimsy so take care to put it someplace that you won't trip on it, but I prefer to manhandle the barrel and flip it around while I'm cleaning it and pumping water into it and oiling up the entire thing, and I thought I was scared of hurting the thing as a newcomer!

If that works for you I see no downside. I never routinely remove a pinned barrel for cleaning. I usually remove them once or twice a year for basic maintenance and that's it.

No wrong way with your own gun. We all have little things we like to do.
I pull my barrels once every few years to wax the channel. The fire sticks are very fragile. I’m as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs till the barrel is backed in.

I guess my nervousness about any remaining BP fouling in the nooks and crannies overweighs my fear of a naked stock. Before I removed my barrel I felt the wood would get scratched and dinged and foul water would get in the grooves. My first BP gun still has worn away finish around the barrel where I would scrub the barrel trying to get the fouling off.

Now my stocks feel safer and my barrels cleaner. Maybe I'm just bad at it haha!

Track of the Wolf sells a flush kit that clamps onto the barrel after removing the flintlock. An O-ring seals the device over the flash hole enabling a patched ram rod to siphon soap water in and out of a bucket. This prevents messing up the stock. It can also be used for a percussion rig.

Attachments

• 77F293B9-0780-463C-ACFE-304C4C7C7789.jpeg
    77F293B9-0780-463C-ACFE-304C4C7C7789.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 31
This is useful, I'll look into getting one! Doesn't solve the issue of cleaning around the vent hole, but I could practice at that.

I've never heard of taking the barrel off a pined stock. The rifles that use wedges usually have a hooked breech so you drive out the wedge(s) and just lift up the barrel.
Years ago you could buy a short dowel with a mirror on the end, you drop that down the bore and use a penlight and you can really examine the bore. If you are shooting a patched round ball there should not be any lead fouling, only powder so a wet rag ought to do the job. Followed by an oil rag.

Back