• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question on barrel lugs and pin setting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walaw717

40 Cal
Reaction score
I started fitting my Kibler colonial today, and though I am far from pinning the barrel, I noticed the lugs are short, like 1/6th in. How do I measure to tap these lugs when the time comes. I have Kibler's drill bit attachment, but these lugs seem short. And catching them seems daunting.

I'm an old scratch builder and not familiar w/ Kibler's kits , but know about installing pinning lugs and barrel pins. My imagination can't picture trying to pin a barrel , with a 1/16" pin , through a 1/16 th barrel pinning lug. I'm too stupid to figure that one out. A 1/8 " lug and a 1/16 " pin is a go. If you wish , please enlighten me with more clarity what it is you might be trying to accomplish. Best wishes..oldwood

I'm an old scratch builder and not familiar w/ Kibler's kits , but know about installing pinning lugs and barrel pins. My imagination can't picture trying to pin a barrel , with a 1/16" pin , through a 1/16 th barrel pinning lug. I'm too stupid to figure that one out. A 1/8 " lug and a 1/16 " pin is a go. If you wish , please enlighten me with more clarity what it is you might be trying to accomplish. Best wishes..oldwood

I contacted kiblers with this question. May need a replacement barrel. We will see. The lugs are already fitted to the barrel thanks

Score a line on the barrel and mic it to the top edge of underlug, then measure accordingly to the wood and drill it. Stay a touch high. Nothing to it

Should be about 1/8" or slightly more of wood in the web , between the bottom of the barrel and the ram rod channel. For a fix to make a longer tab on the pinning loop , though the loop will be slightly off center ,solder a thin piece of metal to one side of the existing to short loop ,and drill your pin hole. I've screwed this situation up a time or two , and all worked out well. Don't forget to slightly elongate your pin hole in the repaired lug. Luck to ya

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be about 1/8" or slightly more of wood in the web , between the bottom of the barrel and the ram rod channel. For a fix to make a longer tab on the pinning loop , though the loop will be slightly off center ,solder a thin piece of metal to one side of the existing to short loop ,and drill your pin hole. I've screwed this situation up a time or two , and all worked out well. Don't forget to slightly elongate your pin hole in the repaired lug. Luck to ya

Not sure I follow this.

I started fitting my Kibler colonial today, and though I am far from pinning the barrel, I noticed the lugs are short, like 1/6th in. How do I measure to tap these lugs when the time comes. I have Kibler's drill bit attachment, but these lugs seem short. And catching them seems daunting.
Walaw if you are meaning that the underlugs are only 1/16" in depth from the bottom flat of the bbl that seems very short. Here's a pic of an underlug on my Kibler SMR .45. They are probably 1/4".

1655672166012.png

He says 1/6 inch. that's like not a measurement that I've ever read on a tape but it's more than enough for a 1/16" pin lol

Walaw if you are meaning that the underlugs are only 1/16" in depth from the bottom flat of the bbl that seems very short. Here's a pic of an underlug on my Kibler SMR .45. They are probably 1/4".

View attachment 145361

I need to pull the stuff out of the box but yes they are shorter than that. And good quality ruler measures start at 1/32

Like I said above folks, I have contacted Kiblers for simplicity and clarity. If it's wrong he will address it if I measured wrong he will address that. Too many opinions conflicting here

I’ve never read 1/6” on any rule either, 1/6” is .167”, should be plenty of room for a .0625” pin.

Be sure to clean all the debris and loose stuff from the barrel channel and the slots. The barrel must be fully into the stock.

Then, using the supplied tool kit, insert the drill guide in a barrel lug hole in the stock. Using the smaller of the two drillbits, insert it in the supplied holder. We recently found that it will take tools to tighten the collet enough to hold the bit solid. Insert the drillbit in the guide and with a small clamp holding the barrel tight into the stock. Just make a mark on your barrel lug. Pull it apart and look and see where the mark is on the lug. That will indicate if you have enough material on the lug to drill the hole and cut the slot slightly.

I contacted kiblers with this question. May need a replacement barrel. We will see. The lugs are already fitted to the barrel thanks
I’d perfer the lugs not be machined as part of the the barrel I don’t see any benefit. How hard is it to cut a dovetail. I’m thinking at some point I may file them off and cut my own dove tails into the barrel. Is there a benefit I’m missing other than less parts?

I’d perfer the lugs not be machined as part of the the barrel I don’t see any benefit. How hard is it to cut a dovetail. I’m thinking at some point I may file them off and cut my own dove tails into the barrel. Is there a benefit I’m missing other than less parts?
You have the best solution, file them off and cut new ones.

With the barrel installed in the stock, the lugs on the Kibler barrel should be flush with the bottom of the ramrod channel. At least it was on my last two rifles. While drilling, I clamped the barrel to the stock to make certain it was bottomed out.

His drilling tool works great. Follow the directions and watch his YouTube videos.

I am presuming that you meant to type 1/6in which is about .167 and about right to receive a 1/16in pin. With a 1/8in web you would still need to remove a bit of height to not interefere with the ramrod channel.
If the 1/6 was a typo and you meant to type 1/16in then the lug is too short to receive a 1/16in pin.

Back