• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Quality Time at the Range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrub_buck

32 Cal
Reaction score
Had a little time today to get to know my Kentucky Flint. Not a lot of time, probably shot 12-15 shots at 50 yards. Mainly just getting the loading procedure dialed in, and trying to shoot some groups and working on not letting the pan flash get to me. Every shot wasn't perfect, but most were OK, and a few groups were pretty good. A few fliers, but overall, I'm pleased with the rifle and how it shoots. Now, I just need to spend a little time on the sights to move the POI up and a bit right. 70 gr Goex and .490 PRB.

d6lS4jv.jpg
S0gR1KG.jpg

Those groups are actually quite good, especially if you're a newbie with a new gun and shooting a flintlock for the first time.
Keep practicing and keep that gun clean. It only gets better and more fun from there.

P.s. I'd wait for a bit yet before adjusting the sights. Give it a 100 rounds or so. You still have some dialing in to do.

Before you adjust elevation, try using 80 grains and see if it makes the impact point go up. A lot of times an addition of a few grains of powder will do the trick. If not, then time to get out the file.

Before you adjust elevation, try using 80 grains and see if it makes the impact point go up. If not then time to get out the file.

When I shoot either of my flintlocks, I never actually see the pan flash. ?? For sure, I'd go for best groups, then adjust sights.

You are doing well. Like others said, wait and shoot more before you mess with the sights. You didn't say what kind of rifle/barrel you have. 80 grains might be OK but I suspect it will be a little much. If your shots string vertically, you are using too much bp.

You are doing well. Like others said, wait and shoot more before you mess with the sights. You didn't say what kind of rifle/barrel you have. 80 grains might be OK but I suspect it will be a little much. If your shots string vertically, you are using too much bp.

Pedersoli Kentucky.

Were those groups shot from a bench or standing/freestyle? Hold off on filing the front sight till you get the groups you want from the bench, and then, if, you are getting the same point of impact, adjust the sights. Assuming you're a right handed shooter, I'm wondering if you are letting the muzzle dip down and left at the shot, either due to fatigue or trying to spot the shot too soon. Follow through.

Agree, just concentrate on your aim, and keep your gaze focused straight ahead while firing. After a while you will ignore your peripheral vision and will not even notice the flash or flinch from the sllight delay in ignition.

I might add, it's a lot easier to ignore the pan flash if you wear a hat.

More than a few times that I didn't I found a few burning bits of the pan prime flash could find their way to my bare forehead. :D

It's hard to concentrate on keeping the sights aligned with the bulls eye when it feels like your forehead is on fire. :eek:

I was shooting from the bench.

Okay, try some shots with 75 grains of powder and 80 grains of powder. Do groups tighten? Does point of impact change? Those are good groups, but I think off the bench they could be tighter, and I'd still work on a tighter group, demonstrating more consistent pressures,velocities, and such, before adjusting for point of impact. Try a tighter patch, or more/less lube (I've found that using a patch or wad with too much or too slippery a lube can cause changes in point of impact and groups to open up). But, only change one thing at a time.
If your a hunter and you current patch/ball combo feels snug but loads without need of a short starter or pounding the ball all the way down the bore, try another gas seal, such as a felt wad or fiber card, between the powder and patched ball. In my .45 cal. Pedersoli I was able to get the gun shooting an easy to load patch/ball combo that shoots as well or better than a tighter one that was a pain to load, by using thin cards/wads that look to be made of some kind of fiber like gasket material between powder and patched ball.

Never did have a problem with the pan flash; but then, I always concentrated on the front sight and didn't notice it. I think that's the way to not see the flash.

Latest posts

Back