• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex RS or P for .44

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a .44 cal Kassnar Kentucky rifle that is a .44 cal. I don't have good access to real blackpowder since I'm only 15. So all I have access to is Pyrodex RS and P. It says that .45 cal and below you should use Pyrodex P and otherwise use RS. I currently use RS and have ok results. Would Pyrodex P work better.

very likely P is the better choice for your rifle. it's a capper - right? not that it's any better than a rocker but Pyro just about won't fire in a rocker.

Pyrodex P mostly compares to FFFg, which is better suited for the smaller calibers. Pyrodex RS compares to FFg. Some people use FFFg powder in large caliber rifles and smoothbores with good results. Try them both and see which one groups better in your rifle. Good luck and have fun :thumbsup:

You probably won't notice a huge difference but when you run out of RS switch to P. If you have settled in on your load of RS you will probably want to reduce it by 5 grains or so when you switch to P.

There's not a great deal of difference. I often use RS in my revolvers. One advantage of Pyro P is the much smaller kernel size which allows it to flow back into a patent breech to sit right under the nipple. That makes ignition much more reliable without the frequent slight hangfire one often gets with the much coarser RS.

Back