• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pyramid tent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbowie1

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a baker tent and wanted to add another tent i was thinking PYRAMID tent a 10x10x8.Just wondering how you folks that have them like them? Its just for me and my dog.I allways have a primitive camp set up in my pasture for muzzle loader elk season. its my own 1 man 1 dog roondy.

Nothing beats a pyramid tent for fast setup--just roll it out, stake the 4 corners, and set the pole.

Rod

If you want to be primitive is sprit a pryamid is a good tent.If your concerened with hc we think pyrimids are later 19th cent.I like a wedge.Its hc,easy to put up,roomy,andcan be 1/2 faced open.I think old timers made use of what they had and no great invention or change of styles is needed to make a pryamid.If we had a time machine i bet you could find a pryimid in the crusades.I would never doubt a pyramid myself but no one can ever give you manure about a wedge

Pyramid tent

Pro - easy to set up alone, only one pole to transport, easier to find (fewer of them) at an event.

Con - less standing room for footprint size, door is in a sloped wall & can be more subject to leaks, door is only vent in hot weather, does not lend itself to use of attached fly, not accepted at some events (which can hurt resale even if you don't care about HC yourself)

Hard to beat a wedge with a rear opening. Yes, you have to transport a ridge pole & 2nd vertical pole, but you can still drive 4 stakes & pop it up by yourself. Vents nicely with the rear & front both opened. Accepted everywhere, better resale.

Coot said:
Pyramid tent

Pro - easy to set up alone, only one pole to transport, easier to find (fewer of them) at an event.

Con - less standing room for footprint size, door is in a sloped wall & can be more subject to leaks, door is only vent in hot weather, does not lend itself to use of attached fly, not accepted at some events (which can hurt resale even if you don't care about HC yourself)

Hard to beat a wedge with a rear opening. Yes, you have to transport a ridge pole & 2nd vertical pole, but you can still drive 4 stakes & pop it up by yourself. Vents nicely with the rear & front both opened. Accepted everywhere, better resale.
Yeah but with the pyramid tent ya get the added benefit of the supernatural power of the pyramid which preserves food, keeps razor blades sharp, energizes the mind and body.........
By the way did I mention I have a bridge for sale?

I am mostly interested in the mountain man era but I'm surprised some folks have problems with a pyramid being PC- well documented.
Such as "Commerce of the Prairies"

I have a 10x10x8 and its typically just me when I camp in it. Quick to set up and plenty of room when I bring a second person or the dog. Mine is from Panther and has two doors so plenty of air flow. The fly is pretty useless but its due to the size and I could go larger if I really wanted. During winter or colder months I don't typically use it. Never tried setting it up with poles on the outside but that would give a little more space. I see a lot of them in Colorado and not sure I've ever heard anything negative about them and when single campers see my set up they comment about how easy and quick it goes up. One to three poles needed depending on if the fly is used and I cut my poles fom lodge pole pine. I keep a very small camp with very little gear and it works well for me. Really it's too big but the price was right as i found it on C-list and it was way cheaper than a new wedge from Panther.

Documented for one time and place does not mean documented for another time & place. As I recall, it is 18th & early 19th c events that have issues with pyramid tents, not mid 19th c events. As always, it is a question of whose sandbox do you want to play in.

Yep, time and place is everything. Personally, I think the pyramid is alright for later western fur trade. Miller paints a tent that to my eye is plainly a pyramid in 1837, and Rufus Sage mentions a pyramid type tent in the 1840s. But it would be frowned on at anything geared to an earlier era----if that is a concern of yours. Something to keep in mind, anyway.

Rod

THANKS FOLKS, i ordered mine today from panther primitives.I ordered the 10x10x8 flame retardent with the fly and a tipi door and a stove jack. Like i mentioned earlier i have a baker tent and a 12x12 wall tent but wanted something fast to set up and ok for roondy,s. I have a 40 acre pasture with a creek half hay the rest is woods and an old orchard.I allways have a mini roondy for muzzle loader elk season. Usually just me and my lab [LUCAS} looking forward to useing it. They said about 3 weeks. Thanks again.

Since you have it on the way, you might consider a two-pole set up. To get more interior room I have seen them set up with two external poles, that cross a few inches from their tips, and the peak of the pyramid has a line that is cinched to the point where the two poles cross. The two external poles also give you a support (when you add rear support line and two more poles) to errect an awning to the front so you can sit outside in the shade..., probably not a concern in Elk season though. :grin:

LD

Only problem with "hanging" a pyramid tent; you don't have the pole to pull yourself up with in the morning! I need my center pole to hang my frock from as well as a pull up in the morning. :idunno:

I cut an alder that had alot of small branches on it i cut it to length for the center pole and left several branches on and around it cut them back to 3 in length and drawknifed the pole and sealed it with boiled linseed oil. it looks great. that way theres places to hang my possibles and a lantern.

Im not sure where to put post this? but are any of you folks from southwest washington state around mt rainier nat park. ???

I used one for 20 years and very much liked it. Mine was an early Panther Primitives 12x12 model. I had removable hooks for the center pole and used that for hanging lantern and other items. My door was small and in later years a back breaker to get in and out. I had an attached fly and very much used it. There are now models with rear doors and larger doors, I reccomend both. I also reccomend going to the 12' model as the sloping sides do take up space. I have heard and read the arguments "is pc/ain't pc". Don't care, in all those years no one ever burnt me out or scalped me for having it. Get on and enjoy.
camp.jpg
[/URL][/img]

RIFLEMAN 1776
THANK YOu for the reply im looking forward to getting it, I plan on useing my BAKER tent for my gear.

jimbowie1 said:
RIFLEMAN 1776
THANK YOu for the reply im looking forward to getting it, I plan on useing my BAKER tent for my gear.

I also reccomend you get one made with pre-shrunk material. Mine didn't have wrinkles when new. It shrunk with time. I had to take about 6" off the center pole as the whole thing shrunk on me.

Back