• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wedge tent pole ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Footed Arrow

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey all, I just bought my first canvas tent! It's a used wedge measuring 9L x 9.5W x 7H. My main reason for getting it was the the ability to fit it In my car with all my other gear. What I am wondering is how I could split the ridge pole and uprights to make it even more packable (not have to fold seats down in the car) are sleeves the best way to go? Or are there better options? If sleeves are the best option, where can you buy them or how do you make them? Thanks in advance!

Sleeves create two pressure points on the poles. Unless the poles are very strong, like oak or ash, etc. they might not hold up, literally. For your small tent investment in one of the hardwoods, with sleeves, might be the best option.

Either a sleeve for the ridge pole or a vehicle large enough to carry the poles. as an alternative you can use a pole carrier on top of your vehicle. most people that us tipis use this method.

Sleeves work ... don't let anyone tell you otherwise. We had one 10x12 wall tent up - with a fly to boot - for 3-years and all was and is fine. That tent and another 10x10 we have used during Winter snowstorms in the late PA flintlock-only season, that runs after Xmas through most of January. Again, zero issues.

Panther Primitives also sells sleeves. We actually prefer their ridge pole sleeve, as it isn't rectangular, it has a domed or rounded profile top surface for less wear on your tent. Doubt you'd need that one on a wedge tent though ...

Suggestion if you can find a wooden pole about 2-3 in. in dia. a piece of pvc pipe makes a dandy joint for a ridge pole, its round and smooth and weighs less than a metal sleeve, we also have a 10 ft. wall that's used a lot for F&I events when the wife goes along, I had the local mill fabricate such a pole. Once the tents up no one can see it and it works just fine.

Attachments

• 20230204_081318.jpg
    20230204_081318.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230125_183238.jpg
    20230125_183238.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I was looking at some 1 1/4" hardwood dowel, comes in 6 foot lengths at the local hardware in town today. My wedge tent should be here sometime next week so when I get it I'll measure up what I'd need. There are heavy duty plastic pipe ends and elbows that would connect it together real good by the looks of it. 2 uprights and a cross beam and like some have said, under the tent nobody can see it anyway. The wooden rods seem quite sturdy and not likely to bend or break. Guess we'll see.

I see 2" available as well, probably better.

Last edited:
I was looking at some 1 1/4" hardwood dowel, comes in 6 foot lengths at the local hardware in town today. My wedge tent should be here sometime next week so when I get it I'll measure up what I'd need. There are heavy duty plastic pipe ends and elbows that would connect it together real good by the looks of it. 2 uprights and a cross beam and like some have said, under the tent nobody can see it anyway. The wooden rods seem quite sturdy and not likely to bend or break. Guess we'll see.

I see 2" available as well, probably better.
GO for the 2 in. ones a bit sturdier. I would use a pin in the up rights that fit through a hole in each end of the ridge also really don't think an elbow set up for the ridge pole would hold very well in a bit of wind.

Are we now removing thread posts that joke about tent poles in a scene from a movie?

Some Mini Moderator told the real Forum Moderators I was offering to sell tents or tent poles or some such nonsense.

I cracked a joke about tent poles. I quoted a line about tent poles. From the movie No Country For Old Men. When they talked about tent poles.

At no time did I offer to sell anyone a tent or tent poles or anything else.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back