• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wedge tent pole ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Jeep has a TrailFX roof rack, got an F350 too. No issues. Finished the poles today, put 3/8 steel pin in the top of each upright that goes through the metal grommet in each peak peak of the canvas. Ridgepole is 2" poplar dowel that is drilled to slide over the pins before they go through the canvas. I put rubber washers on too that help seal it all up. All good and very sturdy.

My Jeep has a TrailFX roof rack, got an F350 too. No issues. Finished the poles today, put 3/8 steel pin in the top of each upright that goes through the metal grommet in each peak peak of the canvas. Ridgepole is 2" poplar dowel that is drilled to slide over the pins before they go through the canvas. I put rubber washers on too that help seal it all up. All good and very sturdy.
Tip that works for me, the hole in the ridge pole where the up-right pin goes through, get some metal pipe that the pin size fits in and drill out the hole in the ridge insert this pipe sleeve in that hole take a bit of JB weld to secure the pipe sleeve into the ridge, cut this sleeve off flush with the ridge and sand smooth, so there is no wear spot on the canvas or grommets, this allows for a good fit and easy assembly or dis-assembly when setting up or taking down, also re-enforces the hole in the ridge.

Another tip once the tent is set up run two ropes in a x pattern over the outside top,stake the tag ends of these ropes about 1 foot past the corners of the tent and use a long metal tent stake for this. if bad weather with heavy wind and rain comes along you will thank me. 😉

Another tip once the tent is set up run two ropes in a x pattern over the outside top,stake the tag ends of these ropes about 1 foot past the corners of the tent and use a long metal tent stake for this. if bad weather with heavy wind and rain comes along you will thank me. 😉
Is this what you were talking about?
1684420680045.png

Hey all, I just bought my first canvas tent! It's a used wedge measuring 9L x 9.5W x 7H. My main reason for getting it was the the ability to fit it In my car with all my other gear. What I am wondering is how I could split the ridge pole and uprights to make it even more packable (not have to fold seats down in the car) are sleeves the best way to go? Or are there better options? If sleeves are the best option, where can you buy them or how do you make them? Thanks in advance!
I used scarfe joints for my long poles. Cut them on a 1:8 angle, overlap them then lash each end of the joint. Traditional technique.

Back