• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Put my order in today at Jim Chambers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first advanced (ish) build. Getting the Mark Silver Virginia Rifle.

My family came into this country in the James river area in 1743, this gun is from that area in the 1750 to 1780 era so the odds are high that one of my ancestors carried one. I think that's pretty cool.

I built a CVA squirrel rifle, came out great, but this is going to be a whole 'nuther animal.
Other than the standard chisels and such, I'm good there, what tools and specialty jigs will I need ?
I'm particularly apprehensive about drilling the pins and screw holes accurately.

I have some time, not picking it up until Jan (going to be in that area) so I have time to read up and watch videos
Recommend any ??

I would forget about watching video's until you have done some reading--I suggest Buchele's "Recreating the American Longrifle" or Alexander's "The Gunsmith of Grenville County".

Not that I don't like videos, but studying one or both of those books will give context and background to what you are seeing.

Drilling screws/pins isn't hard with a drill press set up with a nail hammered through a piece of wood with the tip of the nail centered under the drill bit. Clamp the wood on the table, mark the entry and exit points, put the exit point on the tip of the nail, and start your bit on the entry point. Easy-peasy.... there are also jigs that will guide drill bits if you don't have a drill press. A search on this forum will give you plenty of options.

Drilling screws/pins isn't hard with a drill press set up with a nail hammered through a piece of wood with the tip of the nail centered under the drill bit.

Clamp the wood on the table, mark the entry and exit points

I make large striper surf fishing lures, the pin method is how I do the long center holes, so that's no problem

It's correctly marking the entry exit points that worries me

DSCF0443.JPG

I make large striper surf fishing lures, the pin method is how I do the long center holes, so that's no problem

It's correctly marking the entry exit points that worries me

View attachment 156307

I've been working on my first rifle. If you have a set of calipers and combination square marking the position of the holes to drill is the easiest part.

Drilling the tang bolt holes was really hard for me with a drill press and using the center drilling nail method because balancing the rifle on the press while operating the press was really tough. I would suggest starting those holes in the metal with a hand drill or cordless drill and then using the press after a hole is started.

A Shinto saw rasp has been very helpful in shaping and in place of a plane.

An assortment of files, fine to coarse, is necessary. Needle files are helpful.

A rasp like a Nicholson 49&50 are helpful in shaping.

I don't have any of these, but nice to have a would be: band saw, bench grinder, belt sander, good hand planes, draw knife, spokeshave.

Measure four times and drill once. I did a Traditions kit a few years ago and the hardest part about drilling for the tenons was figuring out a way to keep the rifle level in the drill press. I mis drilled the very first hole and caught the edge of the tenon. The hole wasn't enough for the pin to actually hold the tenon, so I did what any competent novice would do. I made another tenon that was a little bit longer and drilled it using the original holes in the stock. My point is that most miscalculations can be overcome. I could have easily redrilled another hole in the correct location and then used a brass piece to hide the sin.

Attachments

• Rear barrel tenon repaired.jpg
    Rear barrel tenon repaired.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 0
  • thimble front 1.jpg
    thimble front 1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back