• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Punch for thick .50 wads?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking to make some thick cork or other tight-fitting wads for my .50 and am looking for suggestions on what size punch to get or how best to make these. I have a 1/2" punch that I've used to cut thin paper cards, leather cards and cork wads. Once soaked in oil, they swell a little and provide a good fit -- enough to cause a little bit of air bounce when loaded over shot. But I discovered that my gun shoots a great pattern with a plastic sabot, stripped of its petals, loaded over top of the shot. The sabot is extremely tight-fitting & takes quite a bit of effort to get seated firmly over the shot. I can't get any homemade wad to fit that tightly. And I'd prefer to ditch the plastic anyway. I'd likely need something a little bigger than 1/2" diameter and probably need something more than a punch to cut something about 1/2" thick. What's the best tool for this job?

Looks like TOTW has .510 wads from Circle Fly but they're out of stock at the moment. So homemade alternatives would be preferred.

I'm looking to make some thick cork or other tight-fitting wads for my .50 and am looking for suggestions on what size punch to get or how best to make these. I have a 1/2" punch that I've used to cut thin paper cards, leather cards and cork wads. Once soaked in oil, they swell a little and provide a good fit -- enough to cause a little bit of air bounce when loaded over shot. But I discovered that my gun shoots a great pattern with a plastic sabot, stripped of its petals, loaded over top of the shot. The sabot is extremely tight-fitting & takes quite a bit of effort to get seated firmly over the shot. I can't get any homemade wad to fit that tightly. And I'd prefer to ditch the plastic anyway. I'd likely need something a little bigger than 1/2" diameter and probably need something more than a punch to cut something about 1/2" thick. What's the best tool for this job?

Looks like TOTW has .510 wads from Circle Fly but they're out of stock at the moment. So homemade alternatives would be preferred.

Google you local contractor supply store and call them, or do a search for W.W. Graninger and do a search there.

If you take your 1/2 inch punch and hone a "cone" into the tip it will cut oversized in leather or cork. When I make punches I like to make them so that they cut a wad .025 to .030 over the bore size.

You could buy cheap hole saw and grind the teeth off and put an edge on it.

Latest posts

Back