• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pumpkin, bacon and eggs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpjson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Latest recipe from the campfire. :stir: This is for breakfast and covers all 4 food groups. Those food groups being: 1-Bacon, 2-Eggs 3-Cheese and 4- Miscellaneous.

Take a small pumpkin and field dress it (clean out the insides). Add your eggs, then I add celery, but you can add whatever, then cooked, crisp bacon and top with cheese. Put the lid back on the pumpkin and wrap completely in foil. Put in a Dutch oven and cook over your fire for an hour or so. When the pumpkin is cooked, remove it from the fire. Take the foil off and cut the pumpkin in half from top to bottom, to form 2 bowls. Enjoy breakfast and when done throw the bowls into the trees for the bear. :haha:

I don't eat Quiche or what ever it is called. I only eat eggs and bacon. :stir: :haha:

But everything shouldn't need the same time to cook -- wouldn't the eggs and cheese at least be way over-cooked?

I would think that the pumpkin would act as an insulator until it was cooked through, the insides would then get steamed. It should be a fairly gentle way of cooking the ingredients.

The ingredient that would give the most trouble would be the celery, I think it would come out quite raw, but I suppose some might like it that way. The bacon is pre-cooked .

I like the idea of using a pumpkin as a cooking vessel. Myself I am very particular on how my eggs get cooked.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to head out to the pumpkin patch.

Actually, the eggs came out a bit sunny side up. If you like your eggs cooked hard, I would suggest you scramble them up and cook them a bit in advance. I enjoy crisp celery. Others have suggested peppers, onions or whatever you enjoy. The pumpkin flavor is not too overpowering. Over all it came out quite good. If you keep everything wrapped up in foil, not a lot of moisture escapes and that steams it and it doesn't burn. I feared the pumpkin would not be cooked through, but I was wrong.

showtime said:
I thought that the four major food groups were beans, bacon, whisky and lard.

Geez, where did y'all go to school? The four major food groups have always been: caffeine, nicotine, sugar and salt. (alcohol comes under the sugar catagory)

Does sound like a good recipe to try. I wonder how it would be just putting the pumpkin in the coals?

I LOVE IT !!!!!!! My wife and her pals are GOURMETS. Always so proper in their GOURMET and HEALTHY cooking and it's usually very good. But -- I can't wait to drop this on them. BEANS BACCON WHISKY AND LARD. lOVE IT

The 4 food groups are grease salt sugar and caffeine. Alcohol goes under the sugar category.

You know those small pumpkins they sell about this time of year. Mostly, for decoration, I think. Maybe 5 inches in diameter and less in height after you cut the stem real short. I had no problem. I would post pictures but I do know how.

You know those small pumpkins they sell about this time of year. Mostly, for decoration, I think. Maybe 5 inches in diameter and less in height after you cut the stem real short. I had no problem. I would post pictures but I do not know how.

I never cooked in a pumpkin before, but I roasted a pumpkin for making pie just by wrapping it in foil, and putting it directly in the fire. turned out great, and the pie (baked in a dutch oven) had a slight smokey flavor that really added to the flavor.

Back