• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Harey Enchiladas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My favorite dish to prepare with snowshoe hares (or cottontails) is enchiladas. Since I prepare them with hares most often I came up with the name Harey Enchiladas. It takes two average size snowshoes or three cottontails to make a 13X9 pan of enchiladas. About a month ago I took a small snowshoe hare with my .62 smoothbore and a large snowshoe with my .32 Crockett. The two of them together were perfect for a pan enchiladas.

Snowshoe hare blue grouse .62 Flintlock Smoothbore 032.JPG

Crockett .32 Cal Grouse and Snowshoe Hunt 234.JPG

My recipe is nothing fancy or complicated but its delicious.

Skin and clean the hare as you normally would, removing the head and lower legs. I start by boiling the hares until the meat comes off the bone. I remove the legs so they fit in the pot easier but I put the entire hare in the pot. There is a lot of meat along the spine.

Once the meat is starting to come off the bone I remove the pieces from the water. I remove the meat from the bones and break it up into small pieces by hand. I try to remove all the small bones by hand but usually one or two slip past me. Watch out for them when you're eating.

At this point I turn the oven on, setting it to 350 degrees.

I add about 2/3 of a 28oz can of green enchilada sauce and two 7oz cans of diced green chiles to the meat. Then I stir in a couple spoon fulls of sour cream.

Grease or oil the bottom and sides of a 13X9 pan.

Roll the mix in flour tortillas. When the rolled tortillas fill the pan I pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas and top it with Mexican/Fiesta blend shredded cheese.

I put them in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted. I prefer the cheese to be browned which usually takes a few more minutes.

Injured Owl 002.JPG

I serve them topped with sour cream. They are delicious!
Injured Owl 009.JPG

Back