• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pulling a dent from a powder flask?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aldarith

36 Cl.
Reaction score
1641657755433.png

I see a good many of these flasks which have acquired a fairly deep dent some time in their life but are otherwise in fairly desirable and useful condition.

Short of cracking it in half and rendering it useless, has anyone developed a reliable technique for pulling the dents from these?

Would love to save a few.

I'd probably just leave it as is but you could do it like a dent in a car. Drill a hole in the center of the dent put in a metal screw and pull from the outside then solder the hole closed.

View attachment 113672
I see a good many of these flasks which have acquired a fairly deep dent some time in their life but are otherwise in fairly desirable and useful condition.

Short of cracking it in half and rendering it useless, has anyone developed a reliable technique for pulling the dents from these?

Would love to save a few.
Isn't that really just part of the "patina"? just askin'

If it was mine I'd leave it alone - BUT if it REALLY bothers you, you could try filling it with sand to the level of the dent and then using a wood dowel and a hammer try forcing the sand into the dent pushing it outward. This is a bit extreme as it may also split the solder joints -- good luck with it.

Hey folks, thanks for all the suggestions thus far.

So far I think the sand and dowel related suggestions are the most solid as they don't necessarily involve doing anything deleterious so the flask and I intend to use it.

As for the "patina'', I wouldn't call a dent patina ;)
Partially because it is something that technically affects the function of the flask, reducing the overall volume, and partly because patina is more of a film of time and a dent is more a symptom of use (or in some cases abuse). A dent could be charming in some cases, but I think if it were something as in this photo it's more of a detriment. Also, someone has clearly polished all the patina off this flask at some point so there's a lot less to worry about preserving.

Hey folks, thanks for all the suggestions thus far.

So far I think the sand and dowel related suggestions are the most solid as they don't necessarily involve doing anything deleterious so the flask and I intend to use it.

As for the "patina'', I wouldn't call a dent patina ;)
Partially because it is something that technically affects the function of the flask, reducing the overall volume, and partly because patina is more of a film of time and a dent is more a symptom of use (or in some cases abuse). A dent could be charming in some cases, but I think if it were something as in this photo it's more of a detriment. Also, someone has clearly polished all the patina off this flask at some point so there's a lot less to worry about preserving.
Good luck. The sand method is for leather flasks.

hear me out. Map gas torch but hold the trigger to let gas in the flask but no fire. Then strike it. Small low pressure explosion that should blast form it, or split it.

The brass has been stretched where it's dented. It would have to be shrunk like a bodyman shrinks auto sheet metal for it to ever be right again. I very much doubt it can be done to that area of the flask.

Pressurizing the flask by any method will only result in the flask coming apart.

I would try something like a wooden spoon from inside and bare in mind the solder joints on a flask are very weak and easily split. No matter what the method you will never be able to remove all traces of the damage because of the stretching. It's not just the large dent but the smaller ones around the lower edge too.

I would try using a dowel or something to push it out from the inside, like paintless automotive dent repair. Maybe in conjunction with a dowel epoxied to the outside to help pull the dent out

With the original owner carrying it in his back pocket and finally getting it to be comfortable, you now wish to change the contour.

I knew this was going to be a fun question on how to get the "fairly deep" dent out. A lot of different techniques and a couple rather good. But, I honestly think it will only turn worse looking. I do not see it popping out and not looking like it took damage both ways.

But I am surprised nobody has suggested 4gr of triple F with a long fuse yet.

Back