• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Updated TC cock installed, TC PA Hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As others have said, you want the vent liner flush with the flat on the barrel and you want the lock plate bolster flush with the flat on the barrel. You can remove the vent liner and either file or sand some off of the face. You could also use a little longer flint. If the one in the last video is 3/4 x 3/4, try a 3/4 wide x 7/8" long. You are getting good sparks with that flint, but a little longer would be even better.
Thank you Sir for the advice, I do appreciate it 🍻

It's hard to get a focused pic, but the vent liner does not touch or interfere with the bolster. But there is a slight gap between the bolster and the side of the barrel. Maybe I could pull the lock and see what I could do to get the lock to seat tighter to the barrel?

Thank you Sir for the advice, I do appreciate it 🍻

It's hard to get a focused pic, but the vent liner does not touch or interfere with the bolster. But there is a slight gap between the bolster and the side of the barrel. Maybe I could pull the lock and see what I could do to get the lock to seat tighter to the barrel?
I was wondering if the through bolt is tapped square to the lock plate or is bent .

Just got a new Frizen for my old Tc Flint lock.

Last Lock before, I had to adjust the cock.

Glad my newest rifle is the new model lock and not need to fiddle with all that.

Where, may I ask did you purchase the updated cock? I've been looking for them for awhile with no luck.
Right here: - The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium -

Very nice folks, prompt shipping. I ordered my parts the day after Christmas and received them Friday. It was suggested by someone in this thread that the frizzen they list should be the updated thoroughly hardened version. I hadn't thought of ordering it from them when I placed my order.

Received my unmodified Lyman frizzen the other day. Figuring to fiddle with it today and see what modification is required to fit it to my lock. 👍🏻

So today I got around to fiddling with this frizzen. Found the only mods necessary to fit the unmodified Lyman frizzen is to narrow the pivot housing and slightly shorten the little toe on the pivot housing that rests against the frizzen spring. Leaving it as it came made it pretty stiff to open the frizzen and I suspect it would cause accelerated wear on the flint. Dremel with a small non tapered cylindrical grinding stone made the job pretty easy. Ground in small steps trying to work evenly on both sides to keep the frizzen centered.

Here are some side by side pics of the TC frizzen and Lyman frizzen before I started grinding. The Lyman frizzen is the shorter one.
IMG_20230114_150745819.jpg
IMG_20230114_150803292.jpg
IMG_20230114_150726993.jpg
IMG_20230114_150921105.jpg

Here is the Lyman frizzen after grinding
IMG_20230114_152644316.jpg

Here is the lock at half and full cock after fitting the Lyman frizzen

IMG_20230114_154943056.jpg
IMG_20230114_155019467.jpg

It looks good, but maybe you can even flip that flint to get more contact. Looks great though.

RMC is over the hill from my house. They closed their retail store, but you can still call and leave your number and pick up stuff. I tried 4 times over months to get supplies, and they never called back. So I don't know what is happening there.
That's my first thought too. Flip the flint over and you'll hit the frizzen higher making even more spark.

Back