• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cracked sear repair options? Foundry?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I acquired an original rifle with a Golcher lock. The nose of the sear cracked many moons ago, and subsequently its wear pattern with the tumbler became rather cattywompus. It still functions correctly, but it's leaving filings in the mortise.

I sent the lock to Cabin Creek to be repaired/heat treated, and they aren't having any luck finding a sear with geometry that will work, short of scratch making a new one.

Does anyone know of someone/a foundry that would be able to wax cast a few sears in steel? Would this be just as expensive as having CC build one from scratch?

Weld it up, shape it down, heat treat it?

Heat treat it as is, and keep on trucking?

Its a simple commercial lock. No fly, no half cock, nothing complicated (or so I thought).

Your suggestions are welcome 😁

A gunsmith worth his salt can make a new sear out of quality steel. It is not a big job.

Casting lock parts is a shortcut and produces second rate parts. You do not have a master mould so casting is not an option anyway.

I would file the nose off, make a dovetail and fit in a piece of high carbon steel and braze it in place then file to final shape and polish. Brazing temp is higher than hardening temp. Period gunsmiths did this all the time. Harden and temper and the braze will hold.

Back