• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

'Pudding gravy' thread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hope to see some info on that, has me curious? anyone with a recipe/details on? in Virginia liver mush is called 'scrapple' I know it is called something else out in the Mid-West area (Iowa and area)

I'll get you a brand name of the ring pudding when my friends come back from deer camp.

Blizzard,
In my neighborhood 'scrapple' is a mixture
of mush and sausage made into a loaf and fried.
I've been corrected before but I think it is
a Dutch Ammish dish.Irregardless, it is very
good.
snake-eyes:hmm:

I've never seen this 'pudding gravy' I don't think. I have heard of some old timers browning liver mush in a skillet then puring some coffee on it and stirring it up for a gravy of sorts. myself I think I would prefer the browned sliced liver mush as it's tasty, good with biscuits and boiled eggs.

I've been negligent and forgot to get the brand we use. Apparently in Southern (and Maryland) jargon ring pudding is very different than liver pudding which is commonly known as scrapple and is sliced and fried.

Ring pudding is reduced in a skillet with water then thickened to a loose oatmeal consistency. Here is a thread on it.
Link

yeah I checked the link and recognized some of the different 'sausages' on the platter. 'livermush' was at the right. it is common here. head cheese or 'souse' is at the far left, you see it some around here. it is sliced (kept cold) for sandwiches and crackers. it's made from the head cooked down to jelly. and there is liver cheese or 'braunswheiger' to the Germans, it is in back of the liver pudding.
there are different recipes for the livermush I suspect according to regional favorites. it is similar evidently to 'scapple', sliced about 3/8" thick then fried until browned on each side. it's good breakfast fare. wonder if anyone has tried making it using venison liver?

when you make scrapple you throw in all the trim and boil it till tender ,then ya strain the broth out and mix the broth with corn meal ,buckwheat ,salt an pepper and a smidgen of red pepper this gets put in loaf pans until it sets up .now then what you have left in the boiling pan you cook until it gets falling apart tender and the broth thats left thickens ,now you have pork puddin the folks would jar it up and refrigerate it. mom and granny used to throw it in a skillet with a little flour then dump it over hotcakes or buckwheat cakes and add syrup or in my paps case molasses.ill tell yall this too puddin is an acquired taste and ill pass on it !!!

oh and liver pudding is something completly different from scrapple .i find it funny how the samething has different names in different places .ive heard scrapple called liver mush,pon haus (dutch),pork mash .in the mid west they sometimes mix in a little beef trim .

Latest posts

Back