• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone here ever use a lager bore ML for small game hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just curious to know of anyone out there has ever used a big bore ML for small game hunting. After some limited research on this, I am not finding a whole heck of a lot on this subject. Found one old thread on here in the hunting section and I was hoping to find more answers in this sub form. So, if anyone can share your experiences on this please post up.

Before I got a .32 flint squirrel rifle I used to hunt with a TC "Harkins" .50. Had to be careful to hit then in the head!
Thanks for your reply.

Just curious but did you download with the .50? I ask this because I shot a squirrel with a .54 RB with a full big game load at a fairly close distance. At my amazement, it did not blow the the furry little critter to bits. So I am searching for answers on this one.

Also, I have been squirrel hunting with my .32 Crockett rifle and found that if I hit the mid body section, it tears a pretty good size hole in the squirrel. But every hit I made in the head neck area, it only put a .32 caliber size hole.

Not on purpose. But have been skunked in the deer woods and took a squirrel or two( or more) with a deer loaded rifle in the woods. As I mostly hunt smooth bore now I haven’t taken a deer shot squirrel in years.

Just curious but did you download with the .50?
I set up a 2” diameter or so target around 25 yards. Then load up whatever gun I’m shooting with 25 to 30 grains of powder under a roundball, take a six o’clock hold, and see where it hits. I don’t adjust the sights, just tweak the powder charge up or down until I’m hiring in the center of that 2” diameter target, call it a squirrel chin hold. Always interesting with 58 and 62 caliber guns when you let a new shooter try the load. Hardly even a gentle push for recoil.

I take my 50 cal Kentucky or GPR out after squirrels. Load with about 25-30 grains and shoot them in the head. In my home area where most of my hunting happens I have to make sure I’m in a holler or have a tree truck back drop. This coming season I hope to have my Fowler ready to allow for more shots.

Attachments

• 93BED2CD-B81E-4BA0-AB45-7D68F934464E.jpeg
    93BED2CD-B81E-4BA0-AB45-7D68F934464E.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for your reply.

Just curious but did you download with the .50? I ask this because I shot a squirrel with a .54 RB with a full big game load at a fairly close distance. At my amazement, it did not blow the the furry little critter to bits. So I am searching for answers on this one.

Also, I have been squirrel hunting with my .32 Crockett rifle and found that if I hit the mid body section, it tears a pretty good size hole in the squirrel. But every hit I made in the head neck area, it only put a .32 caliber size hole.
Beats me, that was 40 years ago! ;)

I take my 50 cal Kentucky or GPR out after squirrels. Load with about 25-30 grains and shoot them in the head. In my home area where most of my hunting happens I have to make sure I’m in a holler or have a tree truck back drop. This coming season I hope to have my Fowler ready to allow for more shots.
Beautiful rifle.

I set up a 2” diameter or so target around 25 yards. Then load up whatever gun I’m shooting with 25 to 30 grains of powder under a roundball, take a six o’clock hold, and see where it hits. I don’t adjust the sights, just tweak the powder charge up or down until I’m hiring in the center of that 2” diameter target, call it a squirrel chin hold. Always interesting with 58 and 62 caliber guns when you let a new shooter try the load. Hardly even a gentle push for recoil.
That sounds like a plan. Due to blurry vision, I have told myself I was not going to shoot any more until my new updated glasses come in, which should be next week. Soon as they arrive I'll be doing some testing. I'll probably try your tactic.

Last edited:
I used a .45 caliber caplock to shoot a whole slough of western cottontails, head shots only. I see no reason a larger caliber gun wouldn't work using headshots. I will admit the rabbits I was shooting would sit motionless and a long shot was usually no more than 25 yards, most less.

I used a .45 caliber caplock to shoot a whole slough of western cottontails, head shots only. I see no reason a larger caliber gun wouldn't work using headshots. I will admit the rabbits I was shooting would sit motionless and a long shot was usually no more than 25 yards, most less.
Thank you for the reply and congrats on the bunnies you killed with your .45, must have been fun.

That sounds like a plan. Due to blurry vision, I have told myself I was not going to shoot any more until my new updated glasses come in, which should be next week. Soon as they arrive I'll be doing some testing. I'll probably try your tactic.
Blurry vision can be a real problem. I have found that my progressive lenses can be an issue finding the sights. I have been trying some single vision lenses for my right eye that correct things about at front sight distance. A ghost ring or peep sight can also save the day.

Blurry vision can be a real problem. I have found that my progressive lenses can be an issue finding the sights. I have been trying some single vision lenses for my right eye that correct things about at front sight distance. A ghost ring or peep sight can also save the day.
You guys need to DM Relic Shooter. He has a ready solution for the issue.

During deer/elk season i often encounter blue grouse. Usually in a covey. I've shot quite a few with 50 and 54 big game round ball loads. Shots on the head neck area are nice clean kills. Beats shot gun BBs in your dinner. I carry a loading block and it's actually for quick reloading for grouse.

I've managed three out of a covey. Those familiar with blues will understand that. 😀

You guys need to DM Relic Shooter. He has a ready solution for the issue.
Tried a similar solution to what @Relic shooter does, but just found that a single focus lens for my right eye that just brings the front sight into focus and barely blurring the target seems to work best. It does take a while to get used to two totally different lenses in your glasses, but my eyes seem to adjust pretty quickly away from that feeling that one eye is looking for land mines while the other is looking for enemy aircraft.

Tried a similar solution to what @Relic shooter does, but just found that a single focus lens for my right eye that just brings the front sight into focus and barely blurring the target seems to work best. It does take a while to get used to two totally different lenses in your glasses, but my eyes seem to adjust pretty quickly away from that feeling that one eye is looking for land mines while the other is looking for enemy aircraft.
I opt for the ghost ring solution. More than adequate precision to 125 yards for my needs. With a ghost ring, that rear sight is supposed to be fuzzy....thankfully

Back