• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone here ever use a lager bore ML for small game hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BUD,i hope you find a way. I been wanting to put a peep on mine.
I found one. Its a Tom A Hawks peep and it has proven to work great. I also changed out the front bead to a taller one that is better sized for the peep. Spring squirrel season opened here this weekend and that combination proved to be superior to the stock junky sights. It especially works well in lower light conditions and/or getting on target faster.

Muzzle Blasts accepted/published my fiction story about a rabbit hunting fiasco (didn't get a rabbit but had good adventures.) Anyway, I've always shot a .50 flinter, and the time period I live in is mid 18th Century when I am a long hunter with one gun. Most roundball guns shoot the same point of impact at 25 yards with close to half of your deer load. A little range time will give you the specific accurate small game powder charge. No need to change anything but how much powder. Of course wherever the lesser load hits a squirrel is not edible. It's all good fun. Oh, once shot a turkey with a half load, just aimed behind the breast.
I have found that unless one can see well enough to hit a squirrel in the head, even with the small .32 RB it can tear one up so badly that it turns the cleaning into a real chore. Out of the squirrels I got over the weekend, none faired very well with a mid body hit. I was able to salvage the back and rear legs, which is 90% of the meat anyway.

I still want to try my .54 GPR with a reduced load on a few squirrels.

Re. A the GPR, I spent too much for the newer Lyman/Pedersoli which came with great open sights. Front one is a brass blade. I use 1.25 reading glasses and I can see those sights clearly. The target is only slightly fuzzy with the 1.25s. I cancelled my order for a set of Lyman peeps. At 75 years old I'm happy with that.

10g qualify?
20210606_160155.jpg

After I posted this morning in a different thread, I went out to try my luck at a few more squirrels with my .32 Crockett Squirrel Rifle. I shot 7 times and got 6 squirrels. My previous average was about 50/50. This is in no way a shallow attempt at bragging. Rather it’s a real world, field tested fact. For those of you out there that may be struggling with a vision issue and yet trying to continue with iron sights on your beloved smoke poles, regardless of what some may say, it would behoove you to try a peep sight with the proper size front bead.

Next up, my .54 GPR with a reduced load. Hoping I can obtain the accuracy I am looking for to hunt squirrels, JFG. I have yet to install a peep on that ML, however, I have plans on doing so. For small game, a clear sight picture is a must. So far, the buckhorn sight on my GPR seems to be okay but I will not know until I give it a real world test.

Good luck to you all.

Attachments

• Tom A Hawks Peep Sight in the upright position.jpg
    Tom A Hawks Peep Sight in the upright position.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back