• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone here ever use a lager bore ML for small game hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sir, is exactly the information I am after. Even the set up looks like what I'm out to do with my 54 GPR. Still have to make a wedge for the TC peep I have. What kind of front globe sight is on your .54? I haven't looked into a globe front sight for mine as of yet, but its on my To-Do list.

35 grains of 3F is fairly economical.
That is a Lyman globe sight. It has interchangeable inserts. I like the one with a hole in the middle.

I loaded 15 grains and naked oversize 450 ball in a 451 made for long range shooting .I wanted Grouse & Franklin , But I questioned my choice the day I had a close range (up & personal one) with a. curious bull Moose . However diplomacy triumphed as he backed off .Had the diplomacy failed its doubtful I could be recounting this account . I was alone in a vast un inhabited region of British Columbia I did have a hunting knife & a Tomahawk but the odds where in his favour I think ..
Rudyard

Arkansas has caliber limits for game. Squirrel, not to exceed .36. rabbit not to exceed 40, Deer minimum caliber, .40. It's strange to me that .40 is allowed for rabbit and deer, but .36 for squirrel? I don't get it.

Where did you see the .36 limit on Squirrel?

The AGFC website says:
"Squirrels may not be hunted with rifles or handguns larger than .22 caliber rimfire or with muzzleloaders larger than .40 caliber unless a modern gun or muzzleloading deer season, bear season or coyote season is open."

https://www.agfc.com/en/hunting/small-game/squirrel/season-dates-and-bag-limits/
I once used a .490 prb behind 70 grains pyrodex RS on a squirrel during ML season... certainly a head shot only proposition.

Could not resist!
202473-47b6b91a24f37a243d4dcb011066a9c5.png

Where did you see the .36 limit on Squirrel?

The AGFC website says:
"Squirrels may not be hunted with rifles or handguns larger than .22 caliber rimfire or with muzzleloaders larger than .40 caliber unless a modern gun or muzzleloading deer season, bear season or coyote season is open."

https://www.agfc.com/en/hunting/small-game/squirrel/season-dates-and-bag-limits/
I once used a .490 prb behind 70 grains pyrodex RS on a squirrel during ML season... certainly a head shot only proposition.
I remember seeing it in the hunters handbook.

I eradicate the ground squirrel population with my .73 smoothbore all the time using a load of shot. I don't eat them but it does help to feed the 4 legged or winger hunters and their families. Also helps the grocery bill when those squirrels don't come over to dine on my dime.

I eradicate the ground squirrel population with my .73 smoothbore all the time using a load of shot. I don't eat them but it does help to feed the 4 legged or winger hunters and their families. Also helps the grocery bill when those squirrels don't come over to dine on my dime.
An old, long gone Dozer operator told me his family survived the Great Depression on Ground Hogs. He said he learned to enjoy them.

An old, long gone Dozer operator told me his family survived the Great Depression on Ground Hogs. He said he learned to enjoy them.
Well, I suppose you could eat these critters in a pinch. I prefer not to risk it though as they are known carriers of plague, worms and all manner of nasty things around here. The coyotes, foxes, badgers, bobcats, crows, ravens and vultures seem to really love them though. In fact many of them leave me a nice tip on the table by patrolling the property a bit more vigorously keeping the population at bay.

I shot a rabbit with my deer load, 60grs fffg in my 45 CVA Kentucky rifle. Pretty much dressed it.
A crow was eating my corn and raising Cain. I had my 58 Buffalo Hunter with 500gr minie and 60grs fffg.
The largest thing left was its head.
That'll teach those dang pesky and destructive crows!

I've killed small game (squirrels primarily) with .45s and a .58. Sometimes it worked like a charm and sometimes it became a disaster. I no longer do this. I eventually got a .32 and a .36 and much preferred the peewee rifles. So it did work on occasion for me but I still won't recommend it.

Muzzle Blasts accepted/published my fiction story about a rabbit hunting fiasco (didn't get a rabbit but had good adventures.) Anyway, I've always shot a .50 flinter, and the time period I live in is mid 18th Century when I am a long hunter with one gun. Most roundball guns shoot the same point of impact at 25 yards with close to half of your deer load. A little range time will give you the specific accurate small game powder charge. No need to change anything but how much powder. Of course wherever the lesser load hits a squirrel is not edible. It's all good fun. Oh, once shot a turkey with a half load, just aimed behind the breast.

Latest posts

Back