• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Modify T/C Hawken Trigger Guard?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N.Y. Yankee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone here cut the big finger hook off the bottom rear of the TC trigger guard? Id like to see some pictures of that. Id like to take it off and round that area smooth, like it was never there. Dont know, I dont want to do something I might regret, But I dont like that hook.

It’s been done and the best ones I’ve seen are clearly a TC that’s been cut. Looks and function are often two separate things.

There was a recent post about this & IMHO they looked much worse afterwards. Learn to love the hook or buy a different style guard. Lyman/Investarm Hawken guards will work & some of the supply houses sell more correct for Hawken looking TC replacement parts.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/t-c-trigger-gaurd.171541/
I do think the one I did, in the above link, looks the least hacked up. I think that the TC design is ugly and non functional.

The brass used in the TC guards I have modified was very soft and malleable. It seems like very nice material. IF you work it much anneal it as any other brass so it does not crack.

At one time TCs were mostly considered to be tools. Today there seems to be a following that considers them to be collectable and valuable. I have modified a lot of guns over the years. As age and wisdom has caught up with me, I now am much less likely to modify guns that are in decent condition.

Last edited:
I bought a TC stock with all the hardware; I rebuilt a lot of the stock internals that had damage and added a GM drop-in barrel.

When the previous trigger guard thread came up, I pulled out my TC kit gun and the one I rebuilt to look at the trigger guards. Turns out the stock rebuild gun had the finger spur cut off the trigger guard, I worked on this stock for a couple of weeks and never noticed the trigger guard had been altered. I like it the way it is.

Old kit on the right, rebuilt on the left.

trigger guard spur.JPG

What in the hell is that hook for anyway? I’ve never really thought about it till just now and I’ve never used the one on my rifles. What gives?

What in the hell is that hook for anyway? I’ve never really thought about it till just now and I’ve never used the one on my rifles. What gives?

It improves your grip on the TG and improves the ability to draw the butt back tight into your arm. It also moves the entire hand forward when the middle finger is placed in that hook it puts the trigger finger in perfect position on the front trigger.

I don't know why some want it gone! It's one of the features that makes the TC Hawken one of my favorites to shoot.

I bought a TC stock with all the hardware; I rebuilt a lot of the stock internals that had damage and added a GM drop-in barrel.

When the previous trigger guard thread came up, I pulled out my TC kit gun and the one I rebuilt to look at the trigger guards. Turns out the stock rebuild gun had the finger spur cut off the trigger guard, I worked on this stock for a couple of weeks and never noticed the trigger guard had been altered. I like it the way it is.

Old kit on the right, rebuilt on the left.

View attachment 277828
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Either or for me. :thumb: :thumb:

Thought that trigger guard looked a bit strange when I got my Hawken in the 70's. But it was functional. Then shot my other BP rifles a lot but when I rotated back to shoot the Hawken I realized I missed that darn hook. It does help pull the stock into the shoulder for a more steady shot IMO. To each his own.

It can be done and done to the degree of looking as if it was never there. But, it takes careful filing, careful hammer work, and many annealings. I did mine in the early 90's. If I get the time, I will post a photo.

I took a different route with my TC Renegade 'remodel'.
After having done a similar clip and reshape of the triggerguard as shown in this thread I completely replaced the TC guard with an early Hawken style from TOTW.
To me it is more esthetically pleasing to the eyes.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• 20200312_201511.jpg
    20200312_201511.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20211118_232920(1).jpeg
    Resized_20211118_232920(1).jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
After having done a similar clip and reshape of the triggerguard as shown in this thread I completely replaced the TC guard with an early Hawken style from TOTW.
Enjoy!
Like that look. Is there a specific one for the T/Cs from TOTW

I have the T/C Hawken, that nasty hook is/was too far back to do my smaller hands a lick of good. The nasty cresent buttplate would pop the snot out of me once i used more than 75 gr of powder in it. So i changed it to my taste

I have the T/C Hawken, that nasty hook is/was too far back to do my smaller hands a lick of good. The nasty cresent buttplate would pop the snot out of me once i used more than 75 gr of powder in it. So i changed it to my taste
I agree that butt plate is a pain in the shoulder. I added a slip-on recoil pad for the range. In the fiels it's usually one and done so it doesn't bother me.

Enjoy!
Sweet 👍

Back