• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Progress. Soon back to carving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrat

40 Cal
Reaction score
Slow going but making progress. A break from wood carving was much needed.

Attachments

• D680B5ED-561F-4B37-88D7-506E2641D7D2.jpeg
    D680B5ED-561F-4B37-88D7-506E2641D7D2.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 148
  • FAEDD159-2745-4A9D-A1A6-48166CF3B872.jpeg
    FAEDD159-2745-4A9D-A1A6-48166CF3B872.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 6DDCBE80-27FC-40AC-95C7-A7E2FEBC44D7.jpeg
    6DDCBE80-27FC-40AC-95C7-A7E2FEBC44D7.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 9B9341BA-00A2-4158-9D59-0C001ACE0496.jpeg
    9B9341BA-00A2-4158-9D59-0C001ACE0496.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 136
You have definitely got a master talent on the engraving, and your carving ranks up there too. Really a nice gun!

I learned to engrave metal many years ago as a hobby and I'm very comfortable and confident doing it. This is my first wood carving with zero experience so I am a little nervous with every cut. I'm probably holding the gouges a little to hard as I'm experiencing alot of hand pain and need to recuperate every now & then. I don't use a mallet but push with my palm using small cuts at a time. Thank you all for your comments.........Labrat

Very hard to give an estimate as I start & stop according to my aches & pains, Ha. I figure I'm 33% complete right now. As of today I guess: 16 hrs on kit assembly & roughing out all parts. 10 hrs on wood carving & 1 inlay. 6 hours on metal engraving. This is actual hands on time. Please understand that I have zero experience on kit building a flintlock & wood working / carving. Because of this there is alot of dead time going back and correcting my mistakes. Hope this helps....Labrat

So if that's 33% you’ll have maybe 100 hrs or more into it give or take? I must say it looks incredible at this point!!!

Very hard to give an estimate as I start & stop according to my aches & pains, Ha. I figure I'm 33% complete right now. As of today I guess: 16 hrs on kit assembly & roughing out all parts. 10 hrs on wood carving & 1 inlay. 6 hours on metal engraving. This is actual hands on time. Please understand that I have zero experience on kit building a flintlock & wood working / carving. Because of this there is alot of dead time going back and correcting my mistakes. Hope this helps....Labrat
I can relate on correction mistakes. I have a question, do you use a transfer template when doing your engraving? That's the only way I can be proficient enough to get it right. I use soft brass sheets to draw and practice on then transfer to the work piece.

I draw freehand on the piece. No stencils, computer images or tracing paper just my hands & eyeballs. If I can't draw it freehand I won't use it. This is how I was taught for many years and the more I practiced the better I got. However I am loosing my touch. Can't seem to make a simple straight line or circle anymore. What I have left is good enough for me. I was never a perfectionist and can be seen on my engravings. Close enough is good for me, Ha...........Thank you everyone for your kind remarks, most appreciated............Labrat

Norman were you talking about metal engraving on soft brass sheets and then doing a wax transfer to the work piece? That is a good way to transfer images and the engraving on the sheet can be kept for further use on other projects. Hope I answered your question...........Labrat

I draw freehand on the piece. No stencils, computer images or tracing paper just my hands & eyeballs. If I can't draw it freehand I won't use it. This is how I was taught for many years and the more I practiced the better I got. However I am loosing my touch. Can't seem to make a simple straight line or circle anymore. What I have left is good enough for me. I was never a perfectionist and can be seen on my engravings. Close enough is good for me, Ha...........Thank you everyone for your kind remarks, most appreciated............Labrat
If I could do half that good I would be happy. This is about the best I can do, but then the only person I have to impress is me because the guns I build go in my collection. I do save my transfers for other projects... Thanks Labrat

Attachments

• 1634159845543.jpeg
    1634159845543.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 74

Latest posts

Back