• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carving antlers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omahkapi'si

Frontier .50
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone used wood burning tools on antlers? Does it work? I would imagine most use a Dremel for any carving work but curious if you can burn designs into the antler.

Well I'm going to try it and I'll let you know how it goes..... :) I know the smell of burning antler is a unique odor.....

Last edited:
Has anyone used wood burning tools on antlers? Does it work? I would imagine most use a Dremel for any carving work but curious if you can burn designs into the antler.

Well I'm going to try it and I'll let you know how it goes..... :) I know the smell of burning antler is a unique odor.....
I have used it with good success. Try all the different tips that come with the tool to see what you like. I use it to burn the powder amount in my chargers.

I can't see you getting anything that looks like original finish using wood burning or dremel.
make some gravers and have at it.

Here's a nice German flask (original) early 19th C I'd guess.
original  Flask.jpg

A Covid mask, while not working for that, WILL work to help with the dust problem.

Love Richard's (Pukka Bundook) work on that powder flask. And Richard, how did you create the powder storage area? I think I might have clamped it in a vise and used a 1' to 1.5" Forstner bit in the drill press. And nice work on the endcaps and spout arrangement.

Someplace around here I have one of those, with 4F priming powder. Holds about 2-3 oz., but has no carving on it.

This avocation of ours sure has plenty of room for creativity!

Good morning Craig,
Trust you had a good Christmas!

The antler was hollowed out using multiple drill holes, at all angles to get rid of a lot of the core, then a chisel/gouge etc to clean it up.
both short 'legs were drilled out as well and that helped clean out the main chamber.
Both legs were then capped as you see in this pic.

All the best Craig.

Richard.
010.JPG

Thanks, Richard. Sincerely wish I had half your talent doing the artwork.
Planning a trip to Kenya to do some wildlife work with elephants, rhinos, etc. May go into Uganda to play with the gorillas a bit.
The plane trip does have a bit of layover both ways in Blighty. Probably not time to visit my old home in Tooting Beck, not far from Wimbledon. Or I could do a 24-48 hour layover on the return.
This will prob be in April, after I heal up from the neck surgery next Friday, 1/5/24. They are gonna give me some pretty Titanium plates and screws to hold all the cervical vertebrae in alignment, widen the holes for the spinal cord.
Richard, you know I've had a lot of surgeries - but this is the first I'm afraid of. 78, hoping to make it to 88, but the future heavily in doubt.
I'm enjoying that 15 ga double; wish I were in NW Florida for the dove shoots! Now getting a French Stalking gun from Big Sky Rambler - should be a nice addition!
Hope your New Year is a FANTASTIC one!

Thanks, Richard! I will be able to make the metal detectors at airports, etc., sing in the high notes!

This French stalking gun will be a great companion to my 15-ga double smoothbore. Maybe take some pics side by side; British fine work vs. French!

Richard, on that flat horn, the metal on the side has three square holes: Do they have a purpose?

Thanks, Richard! I will be able to make the metal detectors at airports, etc., sing in the high notes!

This French stalking gun will be a great companion to my 15-ga double smoothbore. Maybe take some pics side by side; British fine work vs. French!

Richard, on that flat horn, the metal on the side has three square holes: Do they have a purpose?
This is Hank Elwood, my wishes go to you for your surgery. I know you asked Richard but the three square hole on the Flat Flask a "Spanners" for the Wheellock. On this Flask I made back in about '07 in Joe Valentin's Class at WKU, one of the forks was a Spanner and the other was for Priming Powder for the Pan. The thing that I've learned is that the size of the Tumbler is not always the same as the Top Dog Screw Head so you need different sizes. All the best in your upcoming procedure.
Hank

Attachments

• 20230906_134534.jpg
    20230906_134534.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230720_145247.jpg
    20230720_145247.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Thanks, Hank, both for the answer and for the good wishes.
I had been looking, thinking it looked some sort of wrench - the flask shape seemed right handy. And knowing Richard's predilection for wheel locks, should have known. But me - only flintlocks and various percussions... Nifty idea!

I always enjoy these simple, yet complex, drawings on rifles and smoothbores and accouterments. The stag and doe browsing, stag fleeing, tail in air. A big lurcher dog after a boar. A rifleman standing and aiming, drawn clearly, yet in action - and you know that hunter would prefer a tree or rock to steady his aim.
That one stag there on the primer horn, floating across an opening in the forest.
These are the scenes I wish I could carve into that curly maple Woodsrunner. I'm making a new stock for an 1845 double 10-bore - perfect place for a wee bit o' sprucin' it opp on the off-side of the butt.
Yet these old fingers ain't steady enuff to draw, much less carve! Take my word for it boys, don't never drink ship's water laced with Agent Orange!

Craig,
Drawing can be harder than carving or scrimshaw, as there is not much resistance with a pencil, but when a graver is used, you can lean on it a bit and it steadies things up.

Hope this helps my friend!

Latest posts

Back