• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To carve or not

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fancy wood needs minimal carving and a well matched, sliding wood patchbox. I love for the wood to speak for itself. I dislike large, brass patchboxes on beautiful wood...they cover up too much of the beautiful grain.

Plainer wood is for carving. It shows up well on plain wood, and nicely engraved brass PB show up and enhance the rifle in this case.

It is what I like. If I'm going to spend $1500+ on a rifle, it will be one that fits the first option (probably :) ) My $0.02

Fancy wood needs minimal carving and a well matched, sliding wood patchbox. I love for the wood to speak for itself. I dislike large, brass patchboxes on beautiful wood...they cover up too much of the beautiful grain.

Plainer wood is for carving. It shows up well on plain wood, and nicely engraved brass PB show up and enhance the rifle in this case.

It is what I like. If I'm going to spend $1500+ on a rifle, it will be one that fits the first option (probably :) ) My $0.02
Some guns don't need carved at all.

Attachments

• DSCF2081.JPG
    DSCF2081.JPG
    922.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF2082.JPG
    DSCF2082.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF2083.JPG
    DSCF2083.JPG
    531 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF2085.JPG
    DSCF2085.JPG
    353 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF2086.JPG
    DSCF2086.JPG
    384 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF2087.JPG
    DSCF2087.JPG
    457.9 KB · Views: 0
That stock came from a walnut log i bought out of a log yard. Happens to have been cut from a bluff that overlooks the Mississippi River in Illinois that I used to hunt on when I was a kid. Still have a 1/2 dozen blanks left from that log.

I've read here very fancy wood ought to be allowed to speak for itself and left undecorated with carving. Plainer wood is better dressed up with carving. The grain in fancy wood is harder to carve precisely than the more forgiving plainer wood, which can be carved more easily. I've received a precarved stock with very fancy striping and a lot of birdseye figure. I paid a premium over and above the maker's highest price for striped maple for the stock. What should I be thinking about when deciding to carve or not to carve?

I'm putting the stock back in its box and putting it aside until I'm caught up on my projects. It's just satisfying to plan ahead.

No, I won't be posting pictures now. I'll wait until the project is ready to go. Just imagine a stock so nice it'll make you envious and you'll have a picture in your mind.
I recieved a rough blank from Pec. Rivers, I ordered plain maple, after draw knives, planes, and rasps, removed about 10 lbs of overburden, there is nearly coast to coast strip figure. Taught me if you order a blank, you could be surprised either way, don’t buy a pricey one that looks good on the outside.

Practice on something else ‘till you just feel good about cutting into it.

In the mid 1980's , I was just stuck on how to do stock carving. Went to the Spring shoot out at Friendship Ind. , and at the newly built log cabin m/l member gun display museum , I met another m/l builder , Lew Sanchez , ( RIP. ) . Lew was one of the very highly skilled gun builders of the time ,and graciously sat on the museum's porch , for an hour ,and explained how to approach m/l carving. Basically , he taught me on paper , with a lead pencil, how to look at a picture of a carving , say in Shumway's Book, and transfer it onto a stock. Then, he taught me what areas on the drawing , where the actual wood was to be carved away. That one lesson removed my fear of carving , and taught me how to analyze a carving , from a picture. That was the beginning for me. ....Thanks Lew, for helping me. ........oldwood

I have one gorgeous, highly carved, Lancaster rifle made by Cresson Mountain Muzzleloaders [Jeffrey Hagens]. However, none of my other 40+ guns have any carving. I like the Lancaster to show [and will shoot it some] but I know me ... and I won't be cutting pretties in nice wood. :rolleyes:

I met Jeff Talbert in 2021 and started going over to his shop to watch him carve and learn to carve. Learning from a good teacher is the only way to go!
Well, amongst the disadvantages of living in the backwater is that there’s no one even remotely close to study under. I would love to watch and learn is given the chance.

Well, amongst the disadvantages of living in the backwater is that there’s no one even remotely close to study under. I would love to watch and learn is given the chance.
Road trip! Come up to Kentucky and I'll take you over to Jeff's shop!

Back