• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To carve or not

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion if you have a real nice figured piece of wood I would let it speak for itself, covering it with carving would be like putting a quart of bbq sauce on a fresh backstrap.

And then there are other guns that look really good carved. This is Al Martin's latest BTW.

Attachments

• IMG_48661.jpg
    IMG_48661.jpg
    699.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_49301.jpg
    IMG_49301.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_49311.jpg
    IMG_49311.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have seen plain wood guns that were carved and were stunning, Jim Kibler has carved some straight grained stocks that are truly amazing and the carving IS the star of the show. I have also seen some with exceptionally well figured wood that were carved and they were also stunning, so I think 'if it's highly figured don't carve' is a blanket too big. Allen Martin, Jud Brennan and Mike Brooks (lots of others too) all have rifles on their pages that have been stocked in wood the average guy probably can't even buy that are carved and it takes nothing away from the wood. I would modify the statement to say 'if it's well figured it could/should be carved appropriately' and the design of the carving has as much or more to do with 'appropriate' than the level of carving. I'd get some good pictures of the wood with some water on it showing the amount of curl and then draw the carving out and get some pictures of that, then I would run both sets of pictures by guys with vastly more experience than I have for criticism and advise. In the RCA books there are some rifles with exceptional wood that were (to me) heavily carved and I don't think it takes away anything, I think it adds a ton, so I would not be afraid at all to carve or have carved a stock with exceptional figure. My hesitation would only be is it appropriate and well thought out/designed. Finishing the stock after carving would be the next concern I think. One problem at a time....

Some guns don't need carved at all.
The stringing is beautiful. This detail would be the limit of a decorative touch I would recommend for a highly figured piece of wood.
I use stringing to "frame" a detailed figure on a piece of furniture, the contrast and delicacy of the strings can effectively call attention to the beauty of the wood.
While less difficult than elaborate relief carving, stringing is still a technique that requires a good amount of skill and practice.
The "artful" use of stringing requires some very detailed planning and good eye to get the right balance.
Fine Woodworking has a number of really good articles and videos on the design philosophy and techniques.
The example shown by CN in his photos is an advanced level technique.
You should still learn and practice a lot on scraps before attempting this level of stringing on a gun stock.
Stringing on the flat plane of furniture is easy compared to this.

I’m definitely nervous about stock carving. And it’s funny because I’ve done wood carvings for years, but doing whimsical wood spirits doesn’t require the precision that stock carving does.
I hear you about stock carving being precise but I think you have a pretty good leg up when it comes to using chisels and such.

I’m not really crazy about carved maple, I don’t know how, yet, and don’t even have the right tools, so I’ve decided to forego trying to even simple carving on the SMR I’m about to start on. I do like carving done on walnut or cherry, but I like it simple. I’m not into the really fancy carving.

I’m not really crazy about carved maple, I don’t know how, yet, and don’t even have the right tools, so I’ve decided to forego trying to even simple carving on the SMR I’m about to start on. I do like carving done on walnut or cherry, but I like it simple. I’m not into the really fancy carving.
Luckily a SMR should stay plain and simple.

I've read here very fancy wood ought to be allowed to speak for itself and left undecorated with carving. Plainer wood is better dressed up with carving. The grain in fancy wood is harder to carve precisely than the more forgiving plainer wood, which can be carved more easily. I've received a precarved stock with very fancy striping and a lot of birdseye figure. I paid a premium over and above the maker's highest price for striped maple for the stock. What should I be thinking about when deciding to carve or not to carve?

I'm putting the stock back in its box and putting it aside until I'm caught up on my projects. It's just satisfying to plan ahead.

No, I won't be posting pictures now. I'll wait until the project is ready to go. Just imagine a stock so nice it'll make you envious and you'll have a picture in your mind.
I am finishing up a stock that sounds similar. It’s got decent curl in the butt and burl/Birds Eye in the wrist and some in the fore end area. The box lid is burly as well. Decided to and no carving or other embellishment. It’s red maple. Trying to decide on stain, brown with a touch of red or with yellow undertone. Gonna run some samples

Carving depends on the the genera of the rifle. I would not carve a Hawken or a southern long rifle. I would not make a northern long rifle without carving. Not doing the carving because you can not do the work is fine, no other justification is needed.

Carving is like hair, makeup, and clothes on a beautiful women. Most beautiful women would not turn a head as they get up in the morning. The really beautiful ones tend to be plain but without flaws. Dress her up right and she may become a "super model". Tasteful attention to detail and embellishment is a good thing for both women and rifles.

Carving is like hair, makeup, and clothes on a beautiful women. Most beautiful women would not turn a head as they get up in the morning. The really beautiful ones tend to be plain but without flaws. Dress her up right and she may become a "super model". Tasteful attention to detail and embellishment is a good thing for both women and rifles.
Most men arise just as they went to bed; women however tend to somehow deteriorate. 😁

Back