• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Problems I have had with, and thoughts on Pedersolis I have owned .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully they may learn that we want firearms which not only look the part but work reliably , are safe to use and have an acceptable level of accuracy when they are shot with real projectiles and not just blanks .

If Pedersoli ships a Kit to XYZ distributor and XYZ builds the kit and sells to end user. End user finds it don't meet the muster; is that an issue with Pedersoli or with XYZ (baring any actual 'manufacturer defect', which should have been caught by the XYZ builder in the first place)?

I have the 10ga double (percussion) and I've had it on saltwater for long enough periods of time that I'm terrifically impressed with the blue job--it finally started to spot a bit, but my buddy's Citori needed a blue job long before my 10 showed a thing. Another thing I discovered is that sighting carefully along the top rib got me a 30" low hit at 30 yards, both with solid rounds and shot. Once I started shooting 2-3 feet high I started killing ducks, big-time. I talked duck hunting with the U.S. rep for Pedersoli--he agreed that their guns were stout enough to handle duck loads, but shooting steel was really hard on weaker guns, and ones that didn't have chrome steel barrels. Just a qualified "thumbs up", from me.
windy

Well not owning any Peterzolis or any other factory guns .I cant comment but I can say I don,t recall makeing any childs gun other than for my own Children. Hickory is fine but fiberglass Ide never consider mostly its abraisive stuff . They certainly seem to get mixed reviews do Petersoli.
Rudyard

I have the 10ga double (percussion) and I've had it on saltwater for long enough periods of time that I'm terrifically impressed with the blue job--it finally started to spot a bit, but my buddy's Citori needed a blue job long before my 10 showed a thing. Another thing I discovered is that sighting carefully along the top rib got me a 30" low hit at 30 yards, both with solid rounds and shot. Once I started shooting 2-3 feet high I started killing ducks, big-time. I talked duck hunting with the U.S. rep for Pedersoli--he agreed that their guns were stout enough to handle duck loads, but shooting steel was really hard on weaker guns, and ones that didn't have chrome steel barrels. Just a qualified "thumbs up", from me.
windy
Oil made from duck fat is said to be one of the best waterproofing oils .

Oil made from duck fat is said to be one of the best waterproofing oils .

I don't know who ever figured that out. It's hard to find a leaner animal than a duck. You would have to kill 50 grain fed mallards to get a pound of fat.

@windy , so yours shot low too. It sure seems a common theme. Mine was about the same, somewhere in the 3' low range. That is just a perfect example of one of their problems they need to correct.

@FlintRock , I hope they read this forum, they deserve the criticism. No manufacturer is perfect, I understand that, but Pedersoli is missing big time. They already have the fit and finish figured out. Now all they need to do is tweak their designs so they shoot as good as they look.

I don't know who ever figured that out. It's hard to find a leaner animal than a duck. You would have to kill 50 grain fed mallards to get a pound of fat.
Around my neck of the woods wild duck that has fed on maize and wheat is fatter n butter, deep swamp duck well that is a different bird . , Domestic duck fat can be purchased from supermarkets , it is the finest fat for roasting potatoes you will ever find

Tryon Target 54 made in 1996. Anyone have one or a review? Thanks for replies! I am purchasing one from this forum and like to know your experiences.

I have three Pedersoli SxS shotguns. A 10 ga older gun with unlined barrels, a 12 ga with screw in chokes and chromed barrels, and a 20 ga with chromed barrels. All three work quite well. Are they flawlessly fitted and function as smooth as a custom Purdey? No. But the only failure to fire I recall was that time a flock of mallards flying low and slow came over the blind the first minute of shooting time for the first shot of the day and the cap fell off the nipple when I aimed straight up. And they do tend to spit cap chunks a bit. An old supple leather driving glove with the finger tips cut off cured that issue for me. And I fixed the worthless factory ramrod issue with a 5/8ths wood dowel 8 inches longer than the barrel.

Last edited:
I have a percussion Traditional Hawken Target Rifle in .50 cal.. My biggest problem has been to keep the flash channel clear. Other than that, I found a great load and I enjoy shooting it.

211114-001  1_5 x 1_5.jpg

Around my neck of the woods wild duck that has fed on maize and wheat is fatter n butter, deep swamp duck well that is a different bird . , Domestic duck fat can be purchased from supermarkets , it is the finest fat for roasting potatoes you will ever find

I hunt in the Sutter Basin rice growing region in the Sacramento Valley. Early season the fresh arrivals that just completed their migration we call "skinny northern birds" and are hardly worth the effort to cook them. From mid-season on they have fattened up to flying butter balls, rich thick white fat from their rice diet throughout the bird. Great table fare. Be careful the cascade of dripping fat doesn't burn your BBQ to the ground!

Is not the criticism it's ignorant names and stuff like that. I'm pretty happy with mine. Sure, there are things I want to modify, but they do well. Maybe some problems stem from covid silly problems... Who knows, but going on about Italians like they're are wireless is like taking about bubba building junk cars here. Very low class.

I hunt in the Sutter Basin rice growing region in the Sacramento Valley. Early season the fresh arrivals that just completed their migration we call "skinny northern birds" and are hardly worth the effort to cook them. From mid-season on they have fattened up to flying butter balls, rich thick white fat from their rice diet throughout the bird. Great table fare. Be careful the cascade of dripping fat doesn't burn your BBQ to the ground!
Mallards are our main wild game duck here in New Zealand they were imported and released by Acclimatization Societies in the early 1900's , some came from Britain , some from the USA . The USA ducks are bigger than the Brit ones , none of them migrate , they move about a bit but not far . The furthest a banded duck, I shot, had moved from where it was banded was 60 miles , less than 2 hours flight . THBailey , keep the fat for roasting potatoes , boil the potatoes till they are partly cooked , then put them in a pan with duck fat and oven roast them , shake the potatoes about to fluff up the surface which turns into delicious crunchy bits

Our Puget Sound locals are a bit fishy, from feeding on salmon carcasses up the local rivers. We really light up when the Canadian mallards come down; you can tell 'em by the plumpness, bright yellow feet and the tendency to call "quack, eh" when they're greeting yer decoy spread. Mostly, I'm partial to sprig.
windy

Back