• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Problems I have had with, and thoughts on Pedersolis I have owned .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a 59 Pedersoli Sharps that came with a poor quality rear sight. The hinge point wasn't drilled the same on both sides, the upshot being the ladder tilts to the left. I contacted Pedersoli customer service and was given excuses and a refusal to help even with a reduced price on a new one because it's something like 20 years old (though it looks new) and I'm not the original owner.

I've never seen a Pedersoli adjustable rear sight that wasnt manure, some guys on the range have asked me how to fix them; my replies have always been to replace them.

My first flintlock rifle is a Dixie Pennsylvania made by Pedersoli in 1998. It shoots pretty well, given that the bore has numerous toolmarks perpendicular to the bore axis from the breech almost to the muzzle.

The caliber (.45) is stamped on the left side barrel flat near the breech. Before shooting it for the first time I consulted the Dixie catalogue for recommended ball (.440) and patch (.015) sizes. Tried same and had a very difficult time ramming balls down the bore. Coning the muzzle with a tool from Joe Wood's The Firelock Shop didn't help much either. Measured bore diameter at the muzzle after coning is about .450". The solution to the hard-loading problem was found by using .433" balls with a .015" patch. It is still not the easiest to load, but is doable. Although the rifling lands at the muzzle are no longer there, accuracy was not adversely affected.

The lock itself is no prize. First, it seems Pedersoli used a plate size that is unique to that rifle and I believe, the Dixie Cub series. I can't replace it either. No other lock by any lockmaker I have found will fit, nor can one be modified to fit. Second, the lock likes to eat flints as well. Sometimes I get lucky and shoot as many as 8 or 9 shots before knapping is required, which is only good for 4 to 6 additional shots before a replacement is needed.

I realize manufacturing methods and quality control procedures have (or should have) changed since 1998, but Pedersoli won't be high on my list of desirable manufacturers in the future. It is good that some of you have had positive experiences with their products however.

I have a .50 cal Pennsylvania and a Kentucky Pistol from Pedersoli, the rifle is about 10 years old now and the pistol a year or two after. Other then the ramrod they both work great.

I am mostly happy with my Pedersoli SXS 12 ga. I’ve had one misfire which I believe was user error and my ramrod broke and injured my hand, which I believe is a manufacturing defect. Also, the fit for my barrel pin took a sledge hammer to knock it out the first time as well as having a gorilla tighten the nipples. Other than that, it has been a great adventure. Many visions I’ve had for hunting, backpacking, mining, music, brewing etc. have provided me examples of products that don’t work at all or are almost unusable. That hasn’t been my experience with my 12 ga. The positives are a good looking gun that is light and functional. It loads and shoots as is expected. That’s more than can be said of other hobby products.

IAM very much staying away from ALL imports ..the perdersoli shotguns are good...but the spanish italian ect imports ive seen are soft steel barrels..The hatfield my bro inlaw had had a imported bbl it got shot out in 1200 rounds. the tradition trapper 800 rounds ..they sure shoot good ...THEN.....DONE

IAM very much staying away from ALL imports ..the perdersoli shotguns are good...but the spanish italian ect imports ive seen are soft steel barrels..The hatfield my bro inlaw had had a imported bbl it got shot out in 1200 rounds. the tradition trapper 800 rounds ..they sure shoot good ...THEN.....DONE

Agreed. as a Newbie bide your time and research as much as possible on everything ML you can, all the while squirreling your $ away for the one you finally focus on.
Get involved with the experienced ML fraternity and ask their advice , believe me theyre their usually a welcoming and wise genre of humanity who'll steer you in the right direction; and you might be surprised at whats available as 2nd hand more than reasonable quality ML's at bargain prices.

BUT, my advice is dont present them with your XYZ brand crappy Gun you bought on impulse and ask them if they can fix or upgrade it; that saga has worn us all down over the years.

I've never seen a Pedersoli adjustable rear sight that wasnt manure, some guys on the range have asked me how to fix them; my replies have always been to replace them.
What do you replace them with?

As for contacting Pedersoli about the issue - I didn't expect anything to come of it. It was, in a way, to let them know I wasn't pleased with the crappy part. That, and to see what the response would be. A quality company would take responsibility for an incorrectly machined part. I would have been happy with a reduced price on a new part. Instead, I was essentially laughed at for even bringing the issue to their attention.

As for contacting Pedersoli about the issue - I didn't expect anything to come of it. It was, in a way, to let them know I wasn't pleased with the crappy part. That, and to see what the response would be. A quality company would take responsibility for an incorrectly machined part. I would have been happy with a reduced price on a new part. Instead, I was essentially laughed at for even bringing the issue to their attention.

They have bothered to take responsibility, have you bothered to contact the Pedersoli warranty center in the U.S?

You have to reach out to them, they do not know about you and your dissatisfaction. Have to wait on a new barrel to shoot your rifle, would rather replace a ram rod.

At least they are not like Lyman, have a recall due to poor manufacturing and have to replace the barrel!

Last edited:
Agreed. as a Newbie bide your time and research as much as possible on everything ML you can, all the while squirreling your $ away for the one you finally focus on.
Get involved with the experienced ML fraternity and ask their advice , believe me theyre their usually a welcoming and wise genre of humanity who'll steer you in the right direction; and you might be surprised at whats available as 2nd hand more than reasonable quality ML's at bargain prices.

BUT, my advice is dont present them with your XYZ brand crappy Gun you bought on impulse and ask them if they can fix or upgrade it; that saga has worn us all down over the years.
EXACTLY there good ole thompson centers that are USA MADE and have good steel barrels..and USED ONES galore ...Ive never bought a new one ever..because you can up grade them with new replacement locks and longer barrels that are hardened.

EXACTLY there good ole thompson centers that are USA MADE and have good steel barrels..and USED ONES galore ...Ive never bought a new one ever..because you can up grade them with new replacement locks and longer barrels that are hardened.

Where are you finding new, replacement barrels that fit a T?C rifle these days?

To replace the crappy Pedersoli sight you need to scout around and identify a type that will suit your Long arm, eg on my Pedersoli Sharps I did some research and came up with a USA made Soule adjustable Tang mounted sight (nothing like the Pedersoli tin thing sight mounted on the barrel); what you pay and what quality you get is entirely up to you.
Why not get in touch with others using Guns of the same era as you, and ask them for advice ?
Internet sites and professional content catalogues like Track of the Wolf and Dixie Gun Works are also good sources of advice.

I'm glad you had the guts to point out the flaws Cutfinger. I have not shot nearly as many as you, but the ones I have, I completely agree. Pedersoli is a brand that is so close... but just doesn't quite get "it". They are usually just a couple of tweaks from being great guns. They are put together well, they look decent, but they seems to have skipped in the shooting departments. The ramrods are poor, but I'm ok with that, as everyone has their preference. This is the best place to save money as far as manufacturing. I too get a bunch of cap fragments from their guns. You only notice it on the SXS being a right hander, but their right side does it too. Every other brand out there has designed their rifles and shotguns so they don't draw blood. There's no excuse why Pedersoli can't do the same. Besides that, the stocks on their shotguns leave a lot to be desired. They look good, but they really kick your cheek. They might fit some people, so I'll leave that be. Along with the ramrod, they do not have any kind of catch. After you fire 1 barrel, your ramrod is sticking out a few inches. That's not an attribute I want in a SXS. It's a shame because Pedersoli guns usually look good, and are well put together, but functionally I think CVA has them beat in a number of areas.

@mooman76, a few production guns have come with good ramrods. Thompson Center's side locks had decent ramrods. Even today their modern guns come with good rods. It's the Spanish guns, CVA and Traditions that normalized poor quality ramrods. Today Kibler rifles come with top quality hickory rods. Some might not consider them production guns, but they are basically a snap together kit, and really don't cost that much more than a Pedersoli.

It sure would be nice if TC reintroduced their side locks in the $500 range and steam rolled all these garbage guns off the market. I know Pedersoli can make a good gun, but with no competition, they won't.

Back