• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Problem shooting up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Bradley

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm new to flintlocks and just got a TVM fowler. I've been more than happy with it shooting flat, but when chasing squirrels I've had several times it wouldn't shoot up. I think the powder is falling out of the pan before the sparks get to it. Anything I can do fix this? Thx Andrew

Flintlocks can be fired upside down with no problems. Done it myself several times.
If it's not going off, the problem lies elsewhere.

I have shot literally straight up with my smooth rifle flinter with no troubles at all...save the burning powder falling into my eyes!!!

As stated, if you have a well-tuned lock and ignition, you should be able to shoot it upside down. Are you getting a good shower of sparks into the pan when held upright?

I agree it most likely is you are not getting enough sparks, BUT you can check to see if the bottom of the frizzen does not fit the top of the pan well and allows some powder to be slung out. We had that problem with many repro Brown Besses when doing the "cast about" during the loading drill.

Take the lock off the gun. Cock the Cock/Hammer to half cock and close the frizzen. Hold the lock up to the light and look from the inside of the lock to see how much light there is between the bottom of the frizzen and top of the pan. Too much light there shows space that powder can be slung out when you swing the gun or sometimes when you raise it, depending on how the two parts fit together.

I wound up refitting most of the Frizzens to the Pans on my Unit's Brown Besses and that cured the problem for us. This even included my own personal Pedersoli Brown Bess.

Gus

I had similar issue with my faux trade gun. Too long a flint at half cock would lift the frizzen a touch.
Also i realised the frizzen toe shape made it cam over wrong. It was hard at the beginning of the flint strike and got out the way to easy at the end of the stroke! By shaping the toe on the spring it was kinder on the first strike and then got harder. This gave better sparks.

B.

I also have a TVM fowler and agree a flintlock will fire upside down; Ive done it several times. Are you using a good flint and do you have it mounted in the jaws where the blade is about 1/16" from the frizzen when the lock is at half cock? Otherwise perhaps the pan cover doesn't fit. And welcome to our forum.

Close the frizzen and use a flashlight to see if there is a gap that is letting the powder trickle out. This wouldn't be the first TVM lock that needs to be reworked. If the frizzen is not closing correctly, take if off and send it back to be fixed.

Deputy Dog said:
I am a retired cop, so naturally when I first saw this post, I thought it was going to be about drugs, LOL.......Robin :doh:
That's two of us and my mind went to the same place! :haha:

As for the lock issue, the above comments are spot on. If the flint is sharp and of the right length, the frizzen hardened properly and the springs tempered right, you should get almost instantaneous ignition. Check the frizzen to pan fit and adjust the flint as mentioned...things should get better very quickly! Good lick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beginning to look like Claude's going to have to add an "Old Cop's Corner" here! :wink: :haha:

And Brit, I just love that sparkly pic you posted here...nothing 'faux' about that baby! :thumbsup:

I am not much beyond being a novice myself but I have one other idea on this. When I first started I was putting way too much powder in the pan. That slowed ignition quite a bit as the powder basically had to "burn down" to the flash hole before it fired. I went to a very small priming charge and it sped up ignition significantly.

And at that angle, make SURE that you wear the full coverage sort of shooting glasses. It would be very easy for a burning ember to fall downwards toward your eye in that position.

Back