• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

priming the pan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started rock in the locks in 1975 and shot them near exclusively since. While I’ve had some slow fires I normally get ‘instantaneous’ trigger pull and shot as one.
At least that’s how it seems to me.
But
So many times at the range I’ve let some one shoot my gun, and they have always committed on the delay. Umph
Watching some real experts on you tube like Mike Belive I see instantaneous shot, just like my gun.
Rock in the lock shooters must be a different breed

I don't believe the infamous "fuse effect" exists with modern touch hole liners that are coned on the inside such that the powder is right to the very edge of the touch hole anyway. On average, I probably put about 1/3 in the pan...perhaps just a quarter "full" when it's a large pan like on a Queen Anne lock. More "full" if it's a little narrow pan like on a Hawken. Probably the same amount of prime in both.

I have one rifle with just a drilled touch hole that is very slightly coned on the outside. Very good ignition with that one as well with the same amount of prime, but I am more careful to pick the touch hole on that one before every shot to be sure it's open. I haven't found much need to pick the touch hole when a good liner is installed.

I also agree with the post that the myth of "prime being away from the touch hole is faster" has been proven inaccurate by Pletch's high-speed photography tests.

The main thing is that lots of practice and testing will tell a user what THEIR setup likes. Just like working up a load is key, working up the best prime and how much and if the touch hole needs to be picked, etc. is something to be worked out at the range.

I prefer 4F for prime but regardless of the grain size I put in somewhere around 1/3 pan full. My smoothbore has a BIG Chambers lock and gets more prime. I don't worry about positioning the prime since after the frizzen is closed it's out of one's control anyway.

Sorry about bringing pistols into this rifle conversation, but there's no flintlock pistol forum. I get my flintlock insights from these flintlock rifle threads.

With that being said, I have been giving three presses of the primer into the pan just because it's what I saw a competent-looking flintlock rifle shooter do with his rifle. I haven't yet had a flash with no boom, and the delay is imperceptible, but someone brought up the size of the flash as an indicator of too much powder in the pan. Is this considered excessive?
25925.jpeg

Why sorry? It's a flintlock, so prime and lock related discussion applies.
I too wish there were a flintlock pistol subforum. Less than zero interest in cap and ball revolvers.
Glad to hear that there's that kind of flexibility. I look forward to the discussions about flintlock in general. They certainly do require some specialized knowledge compared to caplocks.

The main thing is that lots of practice and testing will tell a user what THEIR setup likes. Just like working up a load is key, working up the best prime and how much and if the touch hole needs to be picked, etc. is something to be worked out at the range.

In my limited experience I would agree with this statement. I've only shot 4 different flintlocks but they do vary in what they like.

There is no best way generally speaking. I have one rifle that will give slow ignition if you prime the pan the “right way” as preached by many. It most certainly depends on the rifle and NOT on what keyboard shooters have read on the internet.

I use 3gr in my Silers, and 4gr in my larger Queen Anne style locks with 4F mostly/3F occasionally. Tapped level, and the pan appearing about half full, and the powder below the flash hole.

Latest posts

Back