• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pa pellet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@steven schwichtenberg, if you are not getting acceptable accuracy, then the PA Pellet is undersized with respect to the lands and grooves of your rifle. We need to know some measurements. Measure the bullet diameter. Measure the land to land diameter. Measure the depth of the grooves. Look at the crowning at the muzzle for any irregularities. Are you using too much powder or too little? What lubricant are you using? We need to know what the intended target is. We need all this information and maybe some more to provide an informed reply.

Tell us about your rifle. Who built it and what is the model? Was the shooting off a rest or offhand? What was the range? What was the group size? What,are your expectations? Have you tried patched round ball?

@steven schwichtenberg, if you are not getting acceptable accuracy, then the PA Pellet is undersized with respect to the lands and grooves of your rifle. We need to know some measurements. Measure the bullet diameter. Measure the land to land diameter. Measure the depth of the grooves. Look at the crowning at the muzzle for any irregularities. Are you using too much powder or too little? What lubricant are you using? We need to know what the intended target is. We need all this information and maybe some more to provide an informed reply.

Tell us about your rifle. Who built it and what is the model? Was the shooting off a rest or offhand? What was the range? What was the group size? What,are your expectations? Have you tried patched round ball?
The pa pellet line of black powder rifles carries the name traditions. Mine is a flintlock also called lightweight. I cannot get the priming powder down the extended breech plug, which is designed to also ignite pellets. I am using 4F black powder in the pan with 4F charge and still cannot get instant ignition.

The Traditions PA Pellet Rifle is essentially a modern sidelock flintlock rifle. The barrel has a 1 in 28 twist which can be fast for stability of a round ball. Now Traditions makes the claim that their breech design can even ignite synthetic powders except for the 4F priming powder. Now, if @steven schwichtenberg can't get the priming powder down the extended breechplug, there is little wonder that performance is not as glowing as the Traditions advertising for this rifle. I don't have any experience with this particular rifle. Steven might find better help on our Modern Muzzleloading sister site. (ModernMuzzleloader.com)

The pa pellet line of black powder rifles carries the name traditions. Mine is a flintlock also called lightweight. I cannot get the priming powder down the extended breech plug, which is designed to also ignite pellets. I am using 4F black powder in the pan with 4F charge and still cannot get instant ignition.
Are you using a 4F charge in an effort to instantly light up a powder pellet (Pyrodex or T7 for example), or are you using blackpowder for the main charge (ie, no pellet)? I’ve never owned a Tradition’s PA Pellet rifle, but have heard those that do own them have good success as far as ignition using loose blackpowder for the main charge (no pellets). Personally own a TC Firestorm in flint that was also designed for pellets. Only tried a few pellets per TC’s instructions and wasn’t impressed. A nephew currently has the gun (call it something like Lend Lease) and though I have never seen it happen myself, he claims that the blackpowder charge under the pellet has on occasion launched the load down range with the pellet burning like a signal flare as it travelled towards the target.

Above is speculation on my part, I can’t comment on your situation without more information.

If I read the original post correctly, you say you are pushing 4f into the flash hole. The flash hole must be clear, that is why many, if not all flintlock shooters pick the hole. You don't want a "fuse" of black powder to the ignition chamber, you want a clear path for the superheated gasses generated in the flash pan to reach the powder charge in the breech. Try inserting a pick into the hole while loading and then remove the pick before you prime. This method insures a nice clear paasage through the flash hole into the breech.

@steven schwichtenberg mentions that his rifle has an extended breech plug and that his priming powder (4F) isn't getting down through his extended breech plug. He mentions using 3F for the main charge, not pellets, but not whether he is using real black or a substitute powder.

He has also mentioned using a 4F charge and still not getting instant ignition.

That breechplug needs to be thoroughly cleaned from all fouling and oils so powder can flow from the powder chamber to the touch hole. Even so, the powder in the extended breech plug can be making a fuse if heavily compressed.

Back