• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Price of Goex ..??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessmuck56

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I haven't bought GOEX 3fff powed in a while..had plenty..but just had to get a container(1 can).... 23.95 !!! YIKES !! Did I take it in the face or what ???? Thanks

It's getting harder and harder to get, if you can get it at all so they can command just about whatever price they want. Really I'm surprised some place don't charge more than they do.

This can is still full...can yah see that price...that's the last time I bought powdah....lol...it's gone up a little !!
a99f0e159a231ec320293dedc4e53a78_zps580cac27.jpg

The first time I ordered Goex by the case it was $11 per can including hazmat. It's now around $5 more per can. When I first started buying bp (Dupont) it was $1.00 per can. The most economical Goex powder is "Jacks Battle Powder" which only comes in 3F (which is all I use) and is available from Jacks Powder Keg. I find it consistent, accurate and it seems to give slightly higher velocities for the same volume. I buy it and I like it.

Nessmuck56 said:
This can is still full...can yah see that price...that's the last time I bought powdah....lol...it's gone up a little !!
a99f0e159a231ec320293dedc4e53a78_zps580cac27.jpg
The last Time I was in Rileys was probably about 30 years ago. That must have been when you bought that powder. You don't shoot much do you!

Evidently there's not much profit in making BP and in the total scheme of things, the BP market is very small. If the volume was greater, more cos would make PB.

It's just economics 101....supply and demand rules in our capitalistic system.......Fred

When I bought my first can around 35 yrs ago I paid around 4 bucks for that can. Hauled hay all day to get the money for it and some hornady balls. Things sure have changed since then :shake: Can you imagine what they would do to a man now days that would sell a 17 yr old boy a pound of powder :idunno:

At the price that BP sells for $23-$40 a pound I am amazed that more people don't make it.
YES it can be dangerous, if proper care is not taken.
You shooters in the great USA are very fortunate in as much that you can order various quantities from places like Main Powder House, Powder Inc., but elsewhere we are not as fortunate.
Fred

Is Riley's in Marianna, FL?

I just bought 5 lbs. from Graf's when they had a special with a $15 haz-mat fee. It was ~ $18/lb. including the haz-mat. They also had free shipping and no handling charge during that special.

Things have changed. The first time I bought bp was 1970.It came in a round five pound cardboard canister. I bought it from E. Christopher Firearms in Miamitown, Ohio for $4.95 for five pounds. It was a no-name brand (I think) from Scotland.

And I remember paying 35 cents a gallon for gas (Imperial Gallon - when we converted to metric it was 17 cents a liter - paid $1.35/liter the other day) and 65 cents for a big Mac.

So now it costs me 8X as much for gas to drive to Mickey D's to pay 7X as much for a Big Mac.

So maybe powder hasn't gone up nearly as much as the things around it :idunno:

I paid $5 a # if I remember right but that was back in 1978. I paid $20 a few years ago but they since have quit selling BP products all together. I got together with a couple others and ordered a couple cans for $18 a can including shipping and haz mat. I would have ordered more if I knew my second option place (300 Miles from here) quit selling BP also. I have a 3rd place (if they still sell it) but it's 600 miles away.

Mooman76 said:
I have a 3rd place (if they still sell it) but it's 600 miles away.

Buy fuel efficient vehicle (30 miles/gallon) - $25,000

20 gallons of gas @ $3.63/gal (national avg) - $72.60

12 hours of your time @ minimum wage ($7.25/hr/Fed) - $87

So if you go and pick up 25 pounds that only works out to $1006.38 per pound, plus the cost of the powder :rotf:

Back