• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder measures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
What materials were used for 18th century/early 19th century powder measures? please try to avoid any period references/writings/paintings or other 18th/19th century sources when posting replies, personal preference based opinions or speculation will be quite adequate.

Pure speculation...tips of various horns from cows, goats...whittled/hollowed out wood, antler, corn cob...

Geeeez TG. I see your game, but won't spoil it. This may be very interesting. I see that Swampy already gotcha.:thumbsup:

Sorry, tg, can't help you with that one. All I know, think and believe about powder measures is the original documentation I've seen in primary sources, I have no opinion of my own.

Spence

Ugh, measures weren't invented yet. Standard weights and measures are a early 20th century invention, so there would be no need to "measure" anything.

Is this reply in the spirit of the original post? :wink:

The only definate material I can think of at the moment is "two fingers" and "three fingers". This is reference to pouring directly from the horn (DEFINATELY A SAFETY HAZARD ) a stream of powder as long as two or three fingers (horizontal ) wide. I firmly believe there were probably many horn or wood measures, butI myself have not seen any that can be documented to before the civil war.The only pre civil war reference to "measured" powder charges was for paper cartridges used by the military. But this is most likely simply due to my lack of knowledge. :idunno:

I could've sworn I've seen a period muzzleloading tool shaped like a saxophone. The bell end was a powder measure. The long end was a ball starter I think.

All 18th. century powder measures were made from cut lengths of river cane. No other material was used. I learned this in my time travels in a modified DeLorean.

Don't rightly know, I guess it was made from what ever the gun maker made it from an handed to ya.

Here's a picture of an adjustable powder measure from the 1770's;

S10powdermessure.jpg

http://50.56.66.97/content/powder-measure

Since nobody else said it yet...

They put the ball in the palm of their hand and covered it with powder.

That was the first "measure".

HD

Back