• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder measures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huntin Dawg said:
Since nobody else said it yet...

They put the ball in the palm of their hand and covered it with powder.

That was the first "measure".

HD

Different loads for different size hands?

Girly hands would have weak loads.

Really, not an accurate statement. Museums show measures made from all kinds of materials. Depending on where and what the pursuits of the user were will vary the usage. Many early cased sets of fine firearms include measures, often made of brass. No single answer will fit the broad question.

Rifleman1776 said:
Museums show measures made from all kinds of materials..
Ah, the museums. Those wonderful houses with things like 19th century made besses used in the American Revolution and the rusted old trapdoor that Mr. local so&so carried from
1st Manassas to Appomattox.
:rotf:

Rifleman1776 said:
Really, not an accurate statement. Museums show measures made from all kinds of materials. Depending on where and what the pursuits of the user were will vary the usage. Many early cased sets of fine firearms include measures, often made of brass. No single answer will fit the broad question.

I'm sure there isn't an ounce of accuracy in my statement. :wink:

Well, I saw Fess Parker pour from the horn. They wouldn't put it in a movie if it wasn't true. :hmm:

Capper said:
Huntin Dawg said:
Since nobody else said it yet...

They put the ball in the palm of their hand and covered it with powder.

That was the first "measure".

HD

Different loads for different size hands?

Girly hands would have weak loads.
With a .490 ball, My girly hands throw 70gr.
My load is 80gr
Maybe them ole boys was on to somthin?

maybe they just poured the right amount in their palms and poured it down the barrel, most of them only had one rifle and was probaly pretty familar with the amount to use. ive seen justin wilson,the old cajun cook pour exactly 1 tablespoon into his palm and then pour it into a tablespoon to prove it was correct.i dont really know nuthin bout nuthin but i think this would work if you did it time after time

"But seriously, I would appreciate a PC/HC answer."

This would not be within the scope of the original question, but a very worthy topic for another thread, try it down in the section of period correct gear, it deserves a fair chance at real answers.

I opine that as THEY had a cranial capacity equal to ours that they would have been able to and likley did use anything that we have avalable to use today, they are thought to have been a bit shorter than todays average person but I do not think that in general shorter people are dumber than taller people, though there may be individual exceptions, at many 'vous, which are excellant litmus tests of what was used by those who followed the path before us, I see horn, antler, bone, various wood types also I suspect tin, brass. copper, iron and bronze were also used and in various sizes and shapes, one of wood shaped like a Turtle effigy with a hole in the rectal area for the powder to go in and out was most likley a favorite, many people probably cut off part of the ends of their smoothbores as it is a well known fact that any barrel over 30" is/was useles in the taking of Forest Grouse,(an 18th cent.Attorney made this discovery and widely published it in his time) this would result in a great supply of round iron tubing from .58 thru .80 would probably have been around to make measures from.
Someone mentioned pouring from the main horn, this sounds like a very usefull technique, no measure to carry or loose a rather fast method and probably easily learned as to how long to pour to get the desired amount of powder, the safety issue we are so concerned about probably did not concern them as much due to the familiarity they would have with guns and powder compared to ours, the pre measured speed loaders like the ones we have made of plastic were probably the most common they could have been made from tin, brass, copper or even wood the patched ball would be in one end and the powder in the other,a very enteresting topic with lots of thoughts and valid ideas as to how and of what to make powder measures that would "measure up" (I made a joke) :rotf: to those used in the past and we did not have to resort to any unpleasant dealings with history or archeology or irritating facts that tend to make our theories and opinions unworkable, this may set a new trend in how to deal with the tremendous amount of equipment and methodologies associated with the various aspects of this hobby.....next question :)

east texas said:
maybe they just poured the right amount in their palms and poured it down the barrel, most of them only had one rifle and was probaly pretty familar with the amount to use. ive seen justin wilson,the old cajun cook pour exactly 1 tablespoon into his palm and then pour it into a tablespoon to prove it was correct.i dont really know nuthin bout nuthin but i think this would work if you did it time after time

Actually, I can get it all in the barrel. There's a crease in your palm that funnels it in.

Unless it's windy. :(

I've read that too. That's why i've never questioned that they had powder measures.

I'm sure if I say now......How much powder do I use?

I would have said it back in the day too.

I have fopund what is undobtedly the most used item in the 18th century for powder measures and shot measures this item was so available that there were thousands of them for the taking every year, it only makes sense that they would have been put to use because they were there (they had them) and they were smart enough to figure out how to put them to the afore mentioned use, therefore it is a foregone conclusion that they would have been used in great numbers, most people probably had several and gave them as birthday and Christmas presents, there was likley a cottage industry devoted soley to the cleaning and sizing of them for the market...how simple and logical and seething with common sense...the outer sheath of the Deer toe

newcameratest184.jpg

probally not as plentiful as one would think. i think ive read that deer wernt all that plentiful in the eastern states having been pretty well cleaned out.

I was refering to the time when Deer hide harvesting was one of the bigest industries of the middle grounds, approx 1750-1775 give or take a decade..Oh Hell! I went and got history mixed up in this thread, please forgive me my transition, no history, no facts, hail speculation, praise empty unsupported opinion, reality, period resources get thee behind me.. :shocked2:

Back to the topic.

While 3 or 4 Mississippi may be all right for plinking, clearly 4 Michigan is a superior method for those who are true connoisseurs of the fine arts.

Besides, I can't spell Missississpppi.

Back