• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musketeer Powder Horn??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
According to the article "Tout connaître sur les poires à poudre", by Jacques Dubarry de Lassale in Le magazine des enchères Sept. 2, 2021 (https://magazine.interencheres.com/art-mobilier/tout-connaitre-sur-les-poires-a-poudre/ a large part of the large European powder flasks and horns, which are said to date from the 17th and 18th centuries, most certainly have been remade in the old style and manufactured at the end of the 19th century or the beginning of the 20th century. The author refers to publications by Robert Marquiset and Jean-Pierre Yven.
I know that in the period around 1900 it was fashionable among the wealthy bourgeoisie to decorate the wall of the gentlemen's room or the smoking salon with old weapons. Even then, "Replikas" of old cutting and stabbing weapons and musketeer rifles were made for decorative purposes.

Now last weekend I bought a horn powder flask, or rather the remnant of it.
20230830_091317.jpg

20230830_090956.jpg

The powder flask was probably repaired a long time ago. A fracture in the horn at the base was fixed with a countersunk wood screw and apparently a new base plug was made of european walnut.

20230830_091105.jpg

The flask head (iron) also seems to have been repaired and a new spout has been attached. At least you can still see the traces of the original mechanism.
20230830_091149.jpg
20230830_091053.jpg

Furthermore, the iron belt hook seems to be missing

20230830_091206.jpg

What is your opinion about this horn?

Might it be from the 17th century or is it a remake?

Last edited:
Interesting! And, a hundred years from now, Civil War cartridge boxes that were used during the 1960's-on will be thought to be "real" Civil War items. There's ads for guys wanting to buy used re-enactment equipment; you can bet some of it is being sold as actual 1860's Civil War relics.

The distinction between original antique, antique replica from the time of historicism, new replica is always a problem for me. In behalf of the usual replicas from the 1960s and later, it is relatively easy to recognize the italian replica flasks.
But Dixon and Sons' moulds were sold to India when this metalware manufactury factory in Sheffield closed in the 1970s. The 2nd generation Colt flasks were apparently the last powder flasks that were still produced by this manufacturer in England with the old molds.

I think your horn is an original. I would think a replica for a wealthy person to hang up would be more fancy and complete. The original spout closer must have broken and been removed. That thing must have been carried for many a mile over its life…..

Latest posts

Back