• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Start with 50 grains 2f and work up by 5 grains till you find your best load, I doubt you would have to go above 80, then try 3f at about 10% less.
Are you planing shot or ball? Basic rule of thumb more sho less powder. Like all rules of thumb it’s not written in stone and may vary for your shooting.

mausernut said:
Anyone have suggestions on a powder load for a George Laloux 54 cal smoothbore? Would like to shoot it without blowing it up.
I seriously doubt you're going to damage your gun in any fashion if you're using real black powder.

Smoothies seem to do a little better with lowere charges. I bought a Centermark Fusil de chase in .62 the recommendation was for an 80 grain load. My groups didn’t change at 75 so I never tried lower. Then I read folks shooting 60-65 in that gun, so I gave it a try and my groups shrunk. So start low and work up. Even 50 grains will make American deer French.

I shoot 60 grains of 2f and a PRB with pillow ticking out of mine, and it does quite well with that.

Latest posts

Back