• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder horn restoration

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexiKan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Recently, my neighbor gave me a small but somewhat old powder horn. Nice patina and age, but "rough." The wooden plug had split where a nail was inserted to hold the strap. There was some remains of silver paint but there were more splatters of a lime green paint on the plug and the part of the horn.

I tried using acetone on it and it cut the silver paint but it would not phase the heavy green paint. Before the acetone, I tried two different kinds of latex/mistake removers. No luck with them, either. (not latex paint!) I hate to go to paint remover, but it looks like my only option.

Unfortunately, the horn has also had a bout with a few of those boring bugs that feasted, deeply into the body in a few places.

So, my question, for those of you who have had the misfortune to drill through a powder horn body when drilling the spout, what kind of filler have you used to plug the run-through?

No, this isn't a museum quality horn, but it has the potential to look "decent."

Recommendations, suggestions?

TexiKan

Sometimes a lead patch was used to fill in a hole.I think there might be a photo in one of the buckskinner books. Just an idea.

TexiKan said:
No, this isn't a museum quality horn, but it has the potential to look "decent."

Recommendations, suggestions?

TexiKan

If you're not looking to keep it as a "show piece" but want it to be decent, I have patched borer beetle holes and splits in a lot of functional horns with plain two part epoxy. I would never do it with a horn I wanted to keep "period correct", but it works like a charm. I do some sanding or filing on the horn to clean it up a little, save the filings or dust and mix it in the epoxy. When applied into the holes and sanded smooth, you'll never see where the holes were.

Ron

Well.......I was impressed with the stripper! Paint stripper, that is. I dabbed it on with a cotton swab and it lifted the paint without disturbing that nice, honey brown patina!

A friend of mine, who makes powder horns, had used epoxy to fill the hole of a run-through and once he stained the whole horn, it wasn't too noticeable. Unfortunately, I have no "horn dust" to add to it because it would take off that patina. I wonder if there was something else, like epoxy, that folks use? Anyway, I need to get back to the stripper and take it off....take it all off!!! :winking:

TexiKan

Not that I'll admit to "running through" but sometimes holes do appear...I too use horn dust mixed with epoxy resin, and, if the hole is too big, I will cut a plug of horn from some scrap, and epoxy it in, and then file down to size...if I can find a piece of scrap of about the right coloring, it is often undiscoverable....
Hank

Filing with epoxy and horn dust, then stain to match sounds reasonable. Remember, I do not want to file so much as to disturb the surrounding patina. There are several, deep, bore bug bites. Hungry critters.......!

TexiKan

If the borer holes don't go thru just leave them. A lot of old original horns are plagued by these. I think it adds age. I recently bought 6 horns and all of them have some borer holes. I think they'll look real good when finished. If you want to fill them find a horn of similar color and make some horn dust. Mix with epoxy and fill the holes. For total concealment you should grunge the horn with a dark stain and black powdered paint. It's a messy process as you have to work the wet stain and paint into all cracks and holes with your hands quickly and wipe off the excess before it dries. And it dries very quick. The end results are great. I've filled cracks in the butt plug with beeswax. A quick pass with a propane torch and the wax melts into the recesses. You can also grunge the butt plus with bees wax. Rub it all over and then rub the plug in your palm until it gets hot. The wax will move around and turn dark.

Hey there Texikan,

Why don't you try sanding a little off the inside of the horn if the plug comes off easily enough or you can come by the shop and sweep ALL the HORN DUST you want off the floors and work bench...and I'll even buy you a beer for doing that for me! :blah:

smokeydays

Back