• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder for a .50 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwfeatherston

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have had a few ignition problems using FFG and was advised to try FFFG. Worked a treat- first time, every time!

What I think was happening was that the coarser powder was not getting into the drum, and occasionally I would have to remove the nipple and trickle a little powder in. I had tried slapping the side of the lock, after pouring the powder in,before anyone asks.

Just wondering what everyone out there is using?

I have had a few ignition problems using FFG and was advised to try FFFG. Worked a treat- first time, every time!

What I think was happening was that the coarser powder was not getting into the drum, and occasionally I would have to remove the nipple and trickle a little powder in. I had tried slapping the side of the lock, after pouring the powder in,before anyone asks.

Just wondering what everyone out there is using?

I use 3F in .45/.50/.54, and 2F in .58/.62/.12ga

I use 3F in all my rifles, also use 3F as well for the primer.

Roundball, you mentioned 2F in the 12 gauge. I just acquired a new englander 12 gauge and was going to use 3F in it as well. Is there a problem using 3F in the shotgun?

I use 3F in all my rifles, also use 3F as well for the primer.

Roundball, you mentioned 2F in the 12 gauge. I just acquired a new englander 12 gauge and was going to use 3F in it as well. Is there a problem using 3F in the shotgun?

I know of no problem at[url] all...in[/url] fact, I've read articles where the old timers who shot flintlock smoothbores preferred 3F in hopes it would improve accuracy a tad in the belief that the faster buning 3F might get the load out of the barrel faster.

When I started playing with a SxS .12ga percussion, I had a few pounds of Pyrodex RS (2F) left over and got in the habit of using a 2F type powder in it. Large charges of 2F seem to have a slightly softer recoil compared to a sharper jolt from a large charge of 3F...also, you might find that one produces a better pattern that the other.
:m2c:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Phil...

Regarding shotguns the general consensus has always been that 3F can eat the over powder card and blow patterns. I can't speak to the veracity of that as I always used 2F in my shotguns. As my patterns and performance were good I never saw the need to try 3F. As with all firearms the only way one can know for certain is to try it.

Vic

I used to use 3F, but my guns and me, both prefer 2F in guns 50cal. and over. I only use 2F in the shotguns as well. For me it is less abusive to the gun stock, my shoulder and I get better patterns. But, what ever works for you, is what is important. I was also told if you are using Swiss powder, 3F in even a 45cal., may have enough omph to burn the breech. I use alot of Swiss powder in the rifles, Shuetzen in the shotguns.

Could be the powder I'm using, I guess. (Thundershot- the only stuff in town)

Chinese quality control tends to be an oxymoron...

Over the years, I've had a few larger caliber guns (.50 and .54) that worked MUCH better with the finer FFFg powder. It wasn't that FFg gave me any problems that I couldn't have tolerated... BUT the FFFg gave me NO trouble of any kind and usually got some benefit(s) from it's use.

It's sad that we don't have the variety of black powders that were available at the height of their popularity. I think many of us would be absolutely amazed at the cleanliness and performance of the black powders. Might "almost" make you wonder why we bother with smokeless for ANY reason...

But we have to play the hand we're dealt and for whatever reasons some propellants are not available in some locations and we have to live with it. Wish I could help in that respect, but there's usually a matter of legality involved, and NONE of us want to "tease the lion".

I will add too that in some cases the coarser FFg powder worked a little better in some (at least one anyway) .45caliber rifles (but that was obviously a HUGE exception!).

I still try to basically adhere to the manufacturer's recommended powder and maximums--despite the fact that they might be a complete load of rubbish!

ALWAYS use a BIG enough gun, or get TWO if one won't do...!
Remember to shoot safely!
WV_Hillbilly

Thanks for all the feedback- I will trade the almost full container of FFG with one of the big-bore shooters!

One powder for my rifle & pistols sounds good!

Back