• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

back to muzzloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timemeddler

32 Cal
Reaction score
So I've been out of the muzzleloader scene for about 15 years until I happened across replacement lock on my cabelas hawken, so I took the whole thing apart and installed one from track of the wolf, which is arguably better than what it came with. This Time I'll be using actual black powder instead of the substitutes I had to use before. I also made blade sights to replace that weird modern sight it came with.

Now onto the accessories. In the interests of fun and being cheap I'm going to see what i can make for equipment. I know I can use a 45 colt case to measure powder, slightly less than 40 grains. Now I have to decide what to hold the powder, flask or horn. has anyone made a powder horn from a raw horn from the pet shop? What kind can be used?

When I started shooting black powder I was 14, and making about $5 a week. I found out a 30-06 case held 60grs of fffg. I tried putting duct tape on them, that stunk. I whittled a few oak branches to fit as plugs.

I went with mom to a thrift shop, I found a leather purse for $2. Now I had a possible bag. I found if I cut small squares of patching and put them in my cap tin, they kept the caps from rattling. A layer of patching kept the balls from making much noise.
I used 30-30 cases for plinking, I don't recall how much powder they held. I probably could have hunted with it, but I knew no one who owned a muzzleloader.

So I've been out of the muzzleloader scene for about 15 years until I happened across replacement lock on my cabelas hawken, so I took the whole thing apart and installed one from track of the wolf, which is arguably better than what it came with. This Time I'll be using actual black powder instead of the substitutes I had to use before. I also made blade sights to replace that weird modern sight it came with.

Now onto the accessories. In the interests of fun and being cheap I'm going to see what i can make for equipment. I know I can use a 45 colt case to measure powder, slightly less than 40 grains. Now I have to decide what to hold the powder, flask or horn. has anyone made a powder horn from a raw horn from the pet shop? What kind can be used?
Good, you are aware that you need to load the rifle from the measure. Now, you need a flask to fill the measure. One of the plastic ketchup or mustard bottles with a coned tip will suffice as a flask. Something like these offered by Walmart will work. There won't be any static electricity that will ignite the powder in such a bottle.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ketchup-and-Mustard-BPA-Free-Food-Prep-Cute-Set-of-2-Plastic-Squeeze-Bottles-with-Twist-On-Cap-for-Condiments-Holds-8-oz/543075766?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1501&adid=22222222222467962334_1197368844314263_pla&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=74835658782803&wl4=pla-4578435187222035&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&wl10=Walmart&wl11=Online&wl12=543075766_10000001640&wl14=refillable plastic condiment bottles&veh=sem&msclkid=2d5ba72e68bd1f17a13ec2cfb480d1c1
A nozzle can be attached to your can of powder to fill the measure. Here is a link to can lids offered by RMC- Ox Yoke.
https://rmcoxyoke.com/product/rmc-powder-can-lids-with-spout/
These will do until you come across a horn or powder flask to your liking.

This is a flask that I really like as it has the flask combined with a measure. The horn from the pet store will cost about the same.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023140946?pid=637942

I had a chance to give it a test firing last weekend, it worked well, i had to file the nipple slightly as it had mushroomed somehow, but overall it shot well enough with around 50-60 grains of goex. ironically enough, previously the only thing I had on hand before to shoot with was pyrodex and triple seven, well the black powder was way easier and quicker to clean out then the new "cleaner subsitutes", and had zero misfiries. it shot a little low so I filed the front sights down a notch, now I just have to wait for another day where it isn't pouring rain.

Latest posts

Back