• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Possible bag or

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone using just a normal hunting fanny pack instead of possibles bag when squirrel hunting? Mine has 6 med pockets,,2large,,and 1xL with 2 netting type pockets in it. Perfect for all my squirrel hunting gear. And my fusil in my hands. Dig always sneaks in pic. Wow I need new carpet.

Attachments

• IMG_20230927_150318.jpg
    IMG_20230927_150318.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Anyone using just a normal hunting fanny pack instead of possibles bag when squirrel hunting? Mine has 6 med pockets,,2large,,and 1xL with 2 netting type pockets in it. Perfect for all my squirrel hunting gear. And my fusil in my hands. Dig always sneaks in pic. Wow I need new carpet.
Are you asking about a "possibles bag" for all your extra "just in case," stuff, or a "shot pouch" for the items you need to make the next shot?

Even when I go out in modern attire, I use my same shot pouch that goes with the gun I am carrying.
All the other stuff, if any, goes in a leather or oilskin cloth shoulder bag, or in pockets of my modern upland vest,,, it all depends what I'm doing, where, and who with.
Personally I've had a tough time with fanny packs when hunting with modern gear. Unless support straps are attached to go over the shoulders, they seem to want to keep riding lower and lower,,, sometimes trying to take my pants with the it (good time for bib-overalls).

The Leatherman makes a bag with game hangers,,, I found it way too big for me, but it is nice and well made.
I made a net bag out of old school fishing net sold in bulk at an Army/Navy store (I think some use it as a base for homemade grilled suits) that attaches to my shoulder bag for use as a game bag when squirrel hunting in period attire.

Lots of options out there.

Follow local hunting laws and you are good. I like my historic kit to be in the woods, but there are no rules.
This is supposed to be a fun hobby, not a chore
Do what makes you comfortable
I agree. When hunting with my.32 I usually have at least my haversack, powder horn and measure. I have to wear orange. I get a lot of compliments even from game enforcement. Folks just love the sight of a flintlock in the woods doing its work.

I use a simple canvas, over the shoulder bag. And my shooting stick has woven line wrapped below the handle I can tie the squirrels to.

I've added a leather shooting bag to my stuff. I now have a haversack for possibles, a powder horn, powder measure, and a shooting bag for my loading and round ball carry. Who knows what 2024 will bring? Hopefully, more opportunities to shoot.

My squirrel hunting rig is a double belt bag that I made. The front pouch has my flask and ball block, the rear pouch has extra balls & patches, and cleaning patches and small tin of mink oil lube. CT requires blaze orange, so I wear a Forestry Supply vest which has a rear bag for game and many pockets for other gear like calls and wipes.

Lo! Is that modern camo that I see? And yes, I use modern accessories when I'm deer hunting with my muzzleloader, but....

Latest posts

Back