• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Portable Soup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simmer the meat & vegetables until there is no flavor left in them. I actually simmered, collected the stock, added more water to the chunks, simmered again, combined the 2 batches of liquid and concentrated.

Black Hand said:
Simmer the meat & vegetables until there is no flavor left in them. I actually simmered, collected the stock, added more water to the chunks, simmered again, combined the 2 batches of liquid and concentrated.

That's exactly what I did....Except no meat....Didn't have any to waste....Lots of vegies though.

I made a squash soup while I was standing over the stove....Took a delicata squash and baked for 45 minutes then scooped out the flesh into a saucepan....Added 1 can chicken broth, 1/4 stick of butter, and some Mrs. Dash original seasoning. cook (boil) for 15 minutes the puree with a stick blender return to stove for 5 minutes.........Wife loved it and she doesn't like squash.

Still working on the bouillon.

Colorado Clyde said:
Black Hand said:

That's exactly what I did....Except no meat....Didn't have any to waste....Lots of vegies though.
Save the trimmings & bones from your deer - roast in the oven then proceed. Make certain you remove all the fat from the stock...

Colorado Clyde said:
I made a squash soup while I was standing over the stove....Took a delicata squash and baked for 45 minutes then scooped out the flesh into a saucepan....Added 1 can chicken broth, 1/4 stick of butter, and some Mrs. Dash original seasoning. cook (boil) for 15 minutes the puree with a stick blender return to stove for 5 minutes.........Wife loved it and she doesn't like squash.

Still working on the bouillon.

Very yummy, squash is one of my personal favorites.

Looking forward to your results.

As hearty as squash are, you could just take a squash with you and cook it in the coals....I think we often overlook taking fresh vegetables like a squash or a potato. Granted squash can get awful big to carry, but potatoes pack well....I use to take potatoes backpacking a lot when I was younger. Both potatoes and squash are very filling and satisfying.

If you are reading though an old text or journal and pumpkins are mentioned, they were probably referring to squash.

Clyde, Thanks for including the squash soup recipe. Winter squash is one of my favorites. Simply baked and seasoned with butter, salt and pepper it's like candy. Making a soup from it should be wonderful for a cool weather meal. If wanted, once the soup is smooth you could add anything: crumbled bacon or jerky, a little cooked rice or chicken, etc. From a colonial period viewpoint, it would also be very healthy and can be made with items that are easy to store for the winter.

I'm pretty good using a whisk but that stick blender is the cat's meow. Ours gets a lot of use.

Jeff

PS: I'm going to try it with canned pumpkin this weekend. We always have a good supply in our winter pantry.

My stick blender gets a lot of use too....I even have a brand new one waiting in reserve, just in case it dies. :thumbsup:

It's squash and pumpkin season....I'd go buy a fresh one. They are super cheap in my area, .50 cents each for delicata . I'm going to go buy some more.

I love delicata squash....Very tasty, easy to prepare and perfect for one or two people.

Delicata squash are by far my favorite. Tasty, sweet flesh that roasts well. Unfortunately, not the most common here. Acorns are easier to find, but most are bland, stringy and watery...

Peas are very filling, made some Yellow split Pea Porcine mushroom soup a couple days ago, still have a quart, might try dehydrating that and see how it goes. Also have a chicken bones in the freezer I been waiting to make stock from, hmmmm.

Reduce further, allow to gel, cut into squares and allow to air-dry for a while then put in the dehydrator.

It stuck to the dehydrator tray.... :cursing:
Trying to salvage it...It has a really good flavor. Glad I froze some for attempt #2....Parchment paper?

I aired dried mine on cloth. You could try parchment paper. The fact it is sticking suggests to me it is still too wet. Mine was hard and rubbery even before I started the drying process.

Back