• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Portable Soup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually just make a soup base from water, wheat flour and my spice kit. Add in my jerk and other yummy fixings and enjoy once prepared.

I'd like to try portable soup as you mentioned, just to do it. Likely I'll continue with my flour, water and spices which is much easier it seems.

My soup-base is Knorr portable soup and a mix of dried vegetables (carrots, green onions, yellow onions and tomato paste). Two-three squirrels (cut into 5 pieces) or cubed meat and a couple handfuls of barley feed 3-4 guys in the field. Other optional additions are dried hominy or wild rice. The same base is used for cornmeal with the addition of bacon and/or sausage. Pepper/red pepper flakes to taste liven up either.

There is no need to eat poorly on the trail - food should also have flavor.

Crewdawg445 said:
I usually just make a soup base from water, wheat flour and my spice kit.

Ah!...You've learned one of the secrets to good soup.....A little wheat flour or corn starch can turn a thin watery bland soup into something luscious and velvety. :thumbsup:

Depending on how much soup I'm making I almost never add a whole cube....And then only if the soup requires it...I find myself needing to use them less and less.

As all my trail stew/cornmeal start with water, a soup cube really adds flavor. As the barley takes about an hour to cook, I top off with water as it evaporates/is absorbed and the barley gives off starch when it cooks, giving body to the liquid. The wild rice or dried hominy takes about 2 hours to cook, so I start it first (with the squirrel pieces) then add the barley. If using cubed meat, it gets added about 20-30 minutes after I start the barley.

Knorr cubes are staple in my kitchen - they can be used to make gravy, sauces, add flavor to stir fry and, of course, soups and stews.

tenngun said:
I’m sorry, I gotta call you on that one, they have found Twinkies in the pyramids four thousand years old that are still fresh...ofcorse that’s because of the magic power of pyramids :rotf:
And of course we only have the archaeologists' word for it, because they ate the twinkies for lunch. Scientific research, and all. :rotf:

Black Hand said:
Dragonsfire said:
Used to use Knorr in the early days but now its got MSG and other undesirables.
Famous line from Conan: Do you want to live forever...?
I don't worry about MSG and a great many other things that some may find undesirable.

Problem is some of us get headaches from the stuff and very dry mouth.

Yes - there are a few people with a sensitivity to MSG. With me, it's artificial sweeteners - terrible pounding headaches (and they taste nasty). If it hurts or makes you ill, I understand avoiding something.

I guess you'll be making portable soup...?

I've found some great info and some real rubbish on Youtube...

Best not to take a single video/source at face value, rather find several sources and see if there is a pattern of consistent information.

Another receipt for your collection, from William Byrd II, 1729, in "Histories of the Dividing Line betwixt Virginia and North Carolina":

The Portable Provisions I would furnish our Foresters withal are Glue-Broth and rockahomini: one contains the Essence of Bread, the other of Meat.

The best way of making Glue-Broth is after the following method: Take a Leg of Beef, Veal, Venison, or any other Young Meat, because Old Meat will not so easily jelly. Pare off all the fat, in which there is no Nutriment, and of the Lean make a very strong Broth, after the usual Manner, by Boiling the meat to Rags till all the Goodness is out. After Skimming off what fat remains, pour the Broth into a wide Stew-Pan, well tinn’d, & let it simmer over a gentle, even Fire, till it come to a thick Jelly. Then take it off and set it over Boiling Water, which is an Evener Heat, and not so apt to burn the Broth to the Vessel. Over that let it evaporate, stirring it very often till it be reduc’d, when cold, into a Solid Substance like Glue. Then cut it into small Pieces, laying them Single in the cold, that they may dry the Sooner. When the pieces are perfectly dry, put them into a Cannister, and they will be good, if kept Dry, a whole East India Voyage.
This Glue is so strong, that two or three Drams dissolv'd in boiling Water with a little Salt will make a half a Pint of good Broth, & if you shou'd be faint with Fasting or Fatigue, let a small Piece of this Glue melt in your Mouth, and you will find yourself surprisingly refreshed.
One Pound of this Cookery wou'd keep a Man in good Heart above a Month, and is not only Nourishing, but likewise very wholesome. Particularly it is good against Fluxes, which Woodsmen are very liable to, by lying too near the moist Ground, and guzzling too much cold Water. But as it will be only us'd now and then, in times of Scarcity, when Game is wanting, two Pounds of it will be enough for a Journey of six Months.
But this Broth will be still more heartening if you thicken every Mess with half a Spoonful of Rockahominy, which is nothing but Indian Corn parched without burning, and reduced to Powder. The Fire drives out all the Watery Parts of the Corn, leaving the Strength of it behind, and this being very dry, becomes much lighter for carriage and less liable to be Spoilt by the moist Air.
Thus half a Dozen Pounds of this Sprightful Bread will sustain a Man for many Months, provided he husband it well, and always Spare it when he meets with Venison, which, as I have said before, may be Safely eaten without any Bread at all.
By what I have said, a Man needs not encumber himself with more than 8 or 10 Pounds of Provisions, tho’ he continue half a year in the Woods.
These and his Gun will support him very well during that time, without the least danger of keeping a Single Fast. And tho’ some of his days may be what the French call Jours maigres, yet there will happen no more of these than will be necessary for his health, and to carry off the Excesses of the Days of Plenty, when our Travelers will be apt to indulge their Lawless Appetites too much.

Notice that it has no vegetables or seasoning, just meat and water.

Spence

No, no...Not rice, Were talking soup. but I do like miso soup and they do make miso bullion cubes. :grin:

ratio6x5-600.jpg

Decent ingredients too....

Ingredients: Sea salt, non-hydrogenated palm oil*, corn starch*, Miso* (soya*, brown rice*, sea salt, koji {Aspergillus oryzae}), starch* (corn*), onion*, carrot*, curry*, pepper*, ginger*, mace*, coriander*.

Back