• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Portable Soup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colorado Clyde said:
Good news....I have discovered a new edible epoxy resin..... :haha:

Thinking that adding gelatin was a bad idea... :doh:

Oh well, .....fun in the kitchen.
Knox gelatin is actually a very pure form of hide glue (gelatin is also the base for Jello). It can be used like hide glue granules in the building of rawhide or sinew-backed bows...

I like the scientific saying: Fail forwards to success...

If it works right the first time, you didn't learn anything. We learn more from our mistakes, while our successes are soon forgotten.

Edison said he had thousands of things he discovered were unsuitable for electric light filaments. In cooking I’ve discovered a lot of foods that just were not good combinations. :haha:

All this talk :cursing: I was going to make a quick bowl of Udon noodles for lunch and get out the door, now I have dried bone broth, summer squash, kale & Tomatillos reconstituting in simmering salted water to see what broth I can make from the dehydrated items on hand. You guys are messing with my head!

Glad I questioned about making this. Now that I’m armed with all this info I’m going to give it a shot. If it doesn’t turn out well I can always make a portobello mushroom soup. I know that will turn out edible and make Colorado happy too! Thanks again Art

I found this recipe in the The Book of Household Management By Mrs. Isabella Beeton. 1861

PORTABLE SOUP..
INGREDIENTS.—2 knuckles of veal, 3 shins of beef, 1 large ****** of herbs, 2 bay-leaves, 2 heads of celery, 3 onions, 3 carrots, 2 blades of mace, 6 cloves, a teaspoonful of salt, sufficient water to cover all the ingredients. Mode.—Take the marrow from the bones; put all the ingredients in a stock-pot, and simmer slowly for 12 hours, or more, if the meat be not done to rags; strain it off, and put it in a very cool place; take off all the fat, reduce the liquor in a shallow pan, by setting it over a sharp fire, but be particular that it does not burn; boil it fast and uncovered for 8 hours, and keep it stirred. Put it into a deep dish, and set it by for a day. Have ready a stewpan of boiling water, place the dish in it, and keep it boiling; stir occasionally, and when the soup is thick and ropy, it is done. Form it into little cakes by pouring a small quantity on to the bottom of cups or basins; when cold, turn them out on a flannel to dry. Keep them from the air in tin canisters. Average cost of this quantity, 16s.

Note.—Soup can be made in 5 minutes with this, by dissolving a small piece, about the size of a walnut, in a pint of warm water, and simmering for 2 minutes. Vermicelli, macaroni, or other Italian pastes, may be added.

I found another recipe.

CHARLESTON MERCURY, August 18, 1862, p. 2, c. 1 Portable Soup.--Let veal or beef soup get quite cold, then skim off every particle of fat; boil it till of a thick glutinous consistence. Care should be taken not to have the soup burn. Season it very highly with pepper, salt, mace, and cloves; and a little brandy or wine, and pour it over earthen platters, not more than a quarter-inch in thickness; let it be till cold, then cut in three inch square pieces; set them in the sun to dry, often turning them. When very dry, place them in tin or earthen vessels, having a layer of white paper between each layer of cakes. These directions, if they are carefully attended to, will keep good for a long time. Whenever you wish to make a soup of them, you have only to put a quart of water to one cake, and make the water piping hot.

I wonder if it was too expensive in the time for good king George to supply.
Butcher hog add to barrel, salt,meat,salt meat top with brine, easy peasy. Or flour water maybe some salt roll thin bake low you gots bread.
But portable soup is a process to make.

Back