• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pork Chile Verde

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pork Chile Verde in the Instant Pot! Oven roast all the chiles, tomatillos, fresh garlic and onions, coarse chop. Cut the pork into large 1-1/2" cubes, brown. Mexican oregano, cumin, chicken bullion, white wine, water to cover. Pressure cook 45 minutes, check meat for tenderness. Cook another 15 minutes if necessary. I used cushion meat with a lot of connective tissue which needed breaking down. Thicken with cornstarch slurry. Salt and pepper to taste. Chopped cilantro after all cooking is finished, if you are genetically predisposed.

20230708_171616271d6627952c54c1.jpg

You got to make your own. QUESTION. I've had a lot of trouble trying to find Mexican Oregano which is actually a different plant. Also, do any of you grow tomatillos? How hard to grow? Can you use seeds out of a supermarket tomatillo?
My "green Salsa" is about a 1/3 each of tomatillo, green bell pepper, and jalapeno- which is about enough heat for me. Plenty of onions as they cook down.
and..pork is PC, they were a livestock critter.

You got to make your own. QUESTION. I've had a lot of trouble trying to find Mexican Oregano which is actually a different plant. Also, do any of you grow tomatillos? How hard to grow? Can you use seeds out of a supermarket tomatillo?
My "green Salsa" is about a 1/3 each of tomatillo, green bell pepper, and jalapeno- which is about enough heat for me. Plenty of onions as they cook down.
I’ve grown tomatillos. I planted some seed this year but only 1 sprouted. It’s huge and has been blooming like crazy but no fruits. The seeds were older. I guess it takes 2 to reproduce.
I think you can buy Mexican oregano online. I’ve been looking for the seeds with no luck.

Ok. You folks all know how to cook. Use your own skills and preferences to adjust this recipe to suit you. Bone appateet!

Pork Chile Verde (For the Instant Pot)

2-1/2 pounds lean pork shoulder roast, cut into 1-1/2" cubes
3 or 4 large green Poblano or Pasilla chiles
4 or 5 large tomatillos
1 medium white or yellow onion
3 cloves fresh garlic, peeled
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp Mexican oregano
1/4 cup AP flour
1/2 cup white wine
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cups water and 2 tbsp chicken bullion or chicken broth
Cornstarch and water slurry to thicken
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro (add after all other cooking)
Salt and pepper to taste

Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper
Slice chiles lengthwise, remove stems and seeds
Slice tomatillos into halves
Slice onion into halves
Lightly oil chiles, tomatillos, onion and garlic and place on baking tray, the cut sides down
Roast vegetables at 450°F for 8 to 10 minutes or until they start to discolor. Do not burn.
Coat the pork cubes in flour and saute in a fry pan with a little oil to brown
De-glaze fry pan with white wine

To the instant pot, add pork cubes, roasted vegetables and all their juices, fry pan drippings and wine, cumin, chicken bullion, Mexican oregano and water to just barely cover.

Pressure cook 40 minutes and check tenderness of the meat. Should be fork tender but not disintegrated. The vegetable components should be well broken down. Adjust seasoning to taste. Adjust consistency (thicken) as desired. Add chopped cilantro while pot is still hot but only after all cooking is finished.

Dang it! Now I'm hungry and have to hit the road in 30 minutes! The baloney and tomato sammich I was going to stuff down my neck probably isn't gonna cut it now. (Insert sarcasm in 3,2,....) Thanks a lot sailor!

Here's the side dish:

Mexican Rice

(Makes 4~6 servings)

1 cup long grain white rice, washed and rinsed to remove the surface starch
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 quarter of a medium white or yellow onion
1 medium size ripe tomato
1 clove of garlic, peeled
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp ground achiote
¼ tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp tomato bullion or 1 tbsp tomato paste
Chicken stock or water/bullion to make about 18 oz of pureed liquid in the blender
Salt and pepper to taste (easy, go slowly)

Toast the washed and drained rice with the oil in a pan until light brown.
Add (pureed) remaining ingredients to the rice and cook, covered on low heat for 20 minutes.
Remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes then fluff rice with fork and rest uncovered for 5 minutes more before serving.

You can modify the recipe to suit your own taste. This recipe is deliberately made a little bland so as not to compete with the main components of the meal.

20231225_104741ae57fdd695214fa5.jpg

Master, I'll be trying your recipe here soon, but in a regular Dutch oven-- and with some Hatch chiles added. Bet it will be savory! A feller hasn't lived until he has had a whopping big, spicy pork chile verde burrito swimming in sour cream. :cool:
Happy New Year to you sir.

Actually made it in the Crock Pot yesterday. Came out fabulous. I tweaked the recipe a bit, using garlic powder instead of the fresh cloves, added four Hatch chiles for a little warmth, and poured in a half cup of Las Palmas green chile sauce (from another chile verde recipe). Two 1/2 hours on high, 2 1/2 on low and it was the bomb! Used pork loin instead of shoulder, which my Walmart was out of and they were practically giving it away.

Actually made it in the Crock Pot yesterday. Came out fabulous. I tweaked the recipe a bit, using garlic powder instead of the fresh cloves, added four Hatch chiles for a little warmth, and poured in a half cup of Las Palmas green chile sauce (from another chile verde recipe). Two 1/2 hours on high, 2 1/2 on low and it was the bomb! Used pork loin instead of shoulder, which my Walmart was out of and they were practically giving it away.

Now that's the way to cook! Job well done.

Try using marjoram as a sub for Mexican oregano

Back