• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One Good Stew Deserves Another

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife and I enjoyed Henry's Green Chile Stew the other night. So I thought I'd share one of our standbys, Tomatillo Stew. We got the recipe from a friend when we lived out west. It is nice because it goes together quick(simple ingredients and simple methods) and doesn't take a lot of cooking. It can be ready to eat in about an hour, which is pretty quick for a stew, and it is good. Its easy to make over a fire and if folks are hungry, they don't have to wait long.

I am not sure of the origin of tomatillos though? I know they're not tomatoes and are a heck of a lot easier to grow than tomatoes, but don't know where they came from.

TOMATILLO STEW

vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 3-inch chunks(Loin, Butt, roast, doesn't matter just the leaner the better)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 large celery ribs, chopped
1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
1 long green chile, seeded and finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons chile powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cups stock
1 cup diced carrots
4 cups russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
One Quart fresh or frozen tomatoes or 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 pounds tomatillos””husked, rinsed and cut into 1-inch dice
Hot sauce

In a medium Dutch oven, heat the oil. Season the pork with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until browned.

Add the celery and onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened

Add the chile, garlic, chile powder, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, a couple of minutes is enough.

Add the stock and bring to a boil.

Add the carrots, potatoes, tomatoes and tomatillos, cover and simmer until the pork is cooked through, about 1/2 hour.

Transfer the pork to a plate and shred with two forks while continueing to simmer the stew until thickened, about 10 minutes.

Stir the shredded pork into the stew and season with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Serve it up with chopped cilantro, if you care for it.

TNGhost said:
I am not sure of the origin of tomatillos though? I know they're not tomatoes and are a heck of a lot easier to grow than tomatoes, but don't know where they came from.
They originated in Mexico, and are a staple of Mexican cuisine.

Spence

Tomatillos are a bit of an acquired taste, or can be. They're a bit more sour than some other types of cooking veggies. Most Mexican places down here use them for Salsa Verde for chicken enchiladas. Those crazy folks out in New Mexico usually just toss a fist full of jalapenos and serranos into a Quisenart and hit 'puree'...Holy Batcicles, Batman! Some friends moved up to Chama in northern New Mexico a years ago and the first visit back, Don got me aside and asked, "Wes, if someone asked you red or green, which would think was hottest?"... :rotf: Started laughing immediately! Knew exactly what happened! Up there the waitress will usually start with, "Hi, my name's Maria, red or green?" Better know your colors...green doesn't mean tomatillos! :rotf: :surrender:

Jalapenos and Serranos in the blender, hmmm, I really and truly do miss New Mexico.

As far as the Tomatillos being sour, I find up here, that if they're left until after the first frost, and really ripen up, they can be quite sweet, when they start to turn yellow and aren't bright green anymore. Roasting them under a broiler for a few minutes will make them sweeter too. I'll do that when I can salsa.

They grow so well, there's too many of the darn things. I have stopped rotating them around the garden because they come back in force, where ever they've been, the next season. I really don't even have to bother with planting them anymore.

Yeah, thanks. Been a long time since I grew tomatillos or ghile pequines. Both died out the one time it hit 2 degrees in central Texas and have never replanted...just getting lazy in my old age, I guess! :wink: :haha:

It regularly gets a lot colder than 2 here, and the plants are all dead, I'm pretty sure, by the end of November or earlier. It is just that its impossible to pick all of them little suckers up, and the next spring they sprout from the seeds of those left laying.

Well if it wasn't the cold it must have been the chupacabras what done it! :wink: :rotf:

satx78247 said:
Here in Bexar County I grill chupacabra eggs regularly over mesquite charcoal.

yours, satx
Someone's had a quart or 12 of tequila too much! :wink: :rotf:

Wes/Tex said:
satx78247 said:
Here in Bexar County I grill chupacabra eggs regularly over mesquite charcoal.

yours, satx
Someone's had a quart or 12 of tequila too much! :wink: :rotf:

Yup, noticed that, you have to be drinking something pretty good to try to grill eggs! :wink:

We're just having fun with you, me particularly. Seems like you posted it some time back unless I'm having a mild stroke! All I remember is wondering if I was too 'gringo' to live through the experience! :wink: :shocked2:

Latest posts

Back