• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

poorboy on a budget

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nifeman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey fellers, here's a rifle I bought from a friend. I converted it form a TC hawken to a full stock. It don't look like much and I have to put the sights back on, but, it's a FLINTER :thumbsup: !! I reworked the original triggerguard and made my own butt plate.
Well anyway, here's a couple of pics (I ain't much of a photograper either :redface: )...Bud
flinter2.jpg

flinter3.jpg

Comments good or bad?? I can take it
:cursing: ...

Any traditional styled black powder rifle is better than NO traditional styled black powder rifle in my book, how can you go wrong with that logic... :grin:

Looks sturdy and functional, I would own and shoot something like that without reservations... :thumbsup:

Hey, if it works for YOU, and YOU are happy with it, it doesn't matter in the least what any one else thinks about it. After all, YOU are the only person YOU have to satisfy.:thumbsup:

I tell you what some of these mass production rifles are the most fun to shoot.
I have a Traditions cap lock that I would like to restock. Its just too short for me. I like it better than my lyman. It has better sights and its lighter.
What did you do as far as restocking? Did you modify the stock you had or?

Looks pretty good to me. More than one back country smith cobbed together rifles from mixed parts. Many were not as nice as yours.

Nifeman, got a picture of the lock side?

Does it have a standard T/C patchbox, something else or nothing at all???

Musketman said:

Thanks fellas, you shore made me happy I did it. Anyway here's a picture of the lock side. No patch box, or grease hole. Just plain ole vanilly, like me :winking: ...Bud
flintlockside.jpg

Nifeman said:
Musketman said:

Thanks fellas, you shore made me happy I did it. Anyway here's a picture of the lock side. No patch box, or grease hole. Just plain ole vanilly, like me :winking: ...Bud
flintlockside.jpg

Nice work Bud! :thumbsup:

Davy

It kind of reminds me of a Jaeger rifle. Glad to see ya' got rid of the brass trigger gaurd.
:hatsoff:

Super job Nifeman! :thumbsup: Now you need to go out and poke some holes in cardboard to see how it'll shoots. I bet it'll shoot fine with a different stock. In just my opinion(and certainly no offense to all the TC owners) TC makes great traditional rifles just bad fitting stocks.

Joe

New_Rifle_Stock____3_01_06_005.jpg

here a t/c hawkens flinter that I swap into a PA hunter stock ,to me it looks a little more traditional with out the brass

That's great! I've got two CVA's, a .50 Bobcat and a 12 gauge single barrel. Both shoot great and I'd like to full-stock them both in poor-boy fashion, then I'd "tacky them up" with brass tacks in Indian fashion. I know, I know! There's no accounting for tastes, is there?

I'd only hope I could do them as well as you did!

If you don't mind I'd like to go back to a question asked above, by another poster, like where did you get the stock blank to work with?

Thanks,

GrayBear

I like it alot more than one straight from the factory! I wouldn't mind owning it! If you changed the trigger guard totally, it would really change the look.My$.02

GrayBear said:
That's great! I've got two CVA's, a .50 Bobcat and a 12 gauge single barrel. Both shoot great and I'd like to full-stock them both in poor-boy fashion, then I'd "tacky them up" with brass tacks in Indian fashion. I know, I know! There's no accounting for tastes, is there?

I'd only hope I could do them as well as you did!

If you don't mind I'd like to go back to a question asked above, by another poster, like where did you get the stock blank to work with?

Thanks,

GrayBear
It came as a package. It's a Pecontonica (sp). I got the lock, stock and barrel of the original. Also got the replacement stock.
As far as the trigger guard, I'm going to forge a different one eventually. Going to pour a pewter nosecap, too..
Thanks for your comments :bow: , Bud

Back