• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pocket Walker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm the original poster and the one who made the pocket walker. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, for some reason I don't get notifications when someone posts to the discussion.

A friend talked me out of it a while back, so it is only a memory and a few photos. Lets face it, a walker is not a very practical handgun. a Dragoon or M1860 would be a better choice. I picked up this old ASM walker used and just decided to cut it down for fun. But it shot good and felt pretty well balanced compared to how it was originally. So long as the balls weren't too oversized for the cylinder, the loading lever extension worked fine. Here is another photo.

View attachment 31055
Hi,
I would be hard pressed to criticize your fine pocket revolver. It would be great to use it like Wyatt Earp but you would lose a lot of associates and friends after slapping them on the head with this rock breaker.
One advantage to this gun, you don't even need a bullet, just powder..............cook'em with the flash, slap'em in the head that would catch their attention without doubt.
Seriously it is a somewhat practical conversion of a BIG and PONDEROUS pistol that was hard to consider.
Back then, the only way to make a powerful gun was to make it BIG, they did not have or understand the qualities of steel.
The old Walkers had an unpleasant possibility of blowing up ( the cylinder )
I honestly do not know why, I did not blow up the original one that I had in my younger years. I shot hundreds of shots through it. I really did not know what I had at the time. There was not a lot of information about black powder & guns way back in the sixties. Ignorance is a plumb when you don't know. Kind of like having a pet rattle snake. nice to look at, keep him happy and stay out of reach. What's the problem??
Thank you for your post.
Fred

A used dragoon would be fun gun with a shorter barrel.
230 grain round noses in paper cartridges. Oh yeah.
Would probably have to go with a quick detach loading lever, not a big deal unless you are in the field. And if you're in the field it would just be another one of those things to keep track of.

Back