• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poacher

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flehto said:
A few years ago, I was hunting some public land and cut across a small corner of private land {a field} and while doing so, a young farmer put his 2 German Shepherds on me....he was told to get the dogs off or I was going to shoot them. He and the dogs retreated and I went on hunting. Totally unnecessary encounter.

I don't know where this occurred, but I read a couple of felonies had this occurred in Florida...

I had a very good friend who would come to help with the ranch and work. He did lots of things to help us.

We cut fire wood one weekend and when we finished, he backed his truck up to my father's fire wood stack and unloaded it.

At lunch my father told him you have a place to hunt as long as you follow the posted rules and he pitched him a gate key.

I found a lot of places in Oklahoma to hunt because I was not lazy and could do ranch work.

I pulled up to one house saw the biggest dog I have ever seen. The dog wandered over and laid his chin on the open window of my
Datsun truck. We visited a bit and I got out and went to the house and asked to see the owner. The lady said he was not there and as I went back to my truck he drove up.

He asked what I wanted and told him I would like permission to duck hunt. He said the dog likes no one and if the dog will tolerate you can hunt. Dog let me hunt for 3 years and I worked for the owner doing chores for what he allowed me to do on his land.

Pork Chop said:
flehto said:
A few years ago, I was hunting some public land and cut across a small corner of private land {a field} and while doing so, a young farmer put his 2 German Shepherds on me....he was told to get the dogs off or I was going to shoot them. He and the dogs retreated and I went on hunting. Totally unnecessary encounter.

I don't know where this occurred, but I read a couple of felonies had this occurred in Florida...
We call that a "near death experience" in my part of texas.

Where I hunt baiting and salt licks are a crime, you can report that regardless of where it is found.

Another solution to baiting, taught to me by a old Vermonter, is to douse the bait with some diesel fuel.

If the stand was on my property I'd also douse the stand with some diesel or doggy do.

Mad Professor said:
Where I hunt baiting and salt licks are a crime, you can report that regardless of where it is found.

Another solution to baiting, taught to me by a old Vermonter, is to douse the bait with some diesel fuel.

If the stand was on my property I'd also douse the stand with some diesel or doggy do.

It is amazing, as a person goes from one state to another what is acceptable and what is not when it comes to hunting.

In Texas, using corn feeders for deer hunting is the standard.

For hog trapping, soaking corm in diesel is normal, that is to keep the coons and squirrels out of it.

Years ago hunting deer with dogs was acceptable in East Texas, not any more. A dog in the woods is a dead dog now.

In East Texas our largest problem with poachers is renegade hog hunters and hog hunting contests.

When I see a sign advertising a hog hunting contest I make sure I am on my property and ride the fence lines during the hours of the contest.

Richard Eames said:
Mad Professor said:

It is amazing, as a person goes from one state to another what is acceptable and what is not when it comes to hunting.

In Texas, using corn feeders for deer hunting is the standard.

For hog trapping, soaking corm in diesel is normal, that is to keep the coons and squirrels out of it.

Years ago hunting deer with dogs was acceptable in East Texas, not any more. A dog in the woods is a dead dog now.

In East Texas our largest problem with poachers is renegade hog hunters and hog hunting contests.

When I see a sign advertising a hog hunting contest I make sure I am on my property and ride the fence lines during the hours of the contest.

I grew up being taught to stalk and still hunt. With good tracking snow I'd stay on the same deer until I shot it or it got dark. Sitting on a stand is too boring for me, unless the woods are too noisy to stalk. I learned the most from those wise old ridge runners I dogged all day but only got glimpses of.

We have a similar problem with stands placed on some of our boundary lines facing our property. I don't take them or damage them because they are on someone else's property but these encroachments are not innocent mistakes since our boundaries are clearly marked. Think I will contact our local Wildlife Officer and get his assistance since these poachers are clearly hunting our land.

Back